GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Foggy windows on a humid/moist day

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
What is the best way to control window fogging? I don't want to use ac all the time when it's humid. It does clear the fog but when it gets too cold i turn it off and the fog inside is even worse.

wildstar

Autocross Champion
Vdawg... not liking the 2 weeks of rain we're getting?

monsterGTI

Ready to race!
yesterday i was running my AC because it was raining and i had the windows up. then the instant i turned it off every window fogged up SO bad! i put the windshield defroster on 80 and full blast and it barely did anything at all. i couldn't even drive anywhere, i had to pull over.
the only way to get rid of it was to go get napkins and get all the fog off, it was SOAKED. i don't know, my old car never had that problem. it was awful.
what gives.

VdaWg

Hey monster that's the same problem I get. I know that if you use ac or heat and DON'T use recirculation it will help with the condensation. But if you recirculate it gets messy. It's happened a couple times already where I had to stop and wipe down. It could be down right dangerous if you're driving on the highway and that crap happens! Don't mind the rain we need it anyway:smile:

kaess

Go Kart Newbie
I have the same ploblem in my Audi. Just turn up the thermostat so that it's slightly warmer than the outside temp like technophreak already said.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Yeah I think the defrost function in this car is kinda weak. Living in Minnesota with all the moisture/humidity you have to run the defrost on perfectly sunny days sometimes.

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yay! I'm so happy to see this thread. It's been really humid and rainy here lately, and I noticed how weird the system in this car is. I'll try setting it to just a bit warmer than the outside temp, because so far it's not been stellar. I had to literally blast the AC on the coldest temp to get rid of it, and then set it warm on slow blow to keep it gone. Not like I can open a window either, because then drops of water from the windshield and roof come streaming in.

I can't wait to see how this works out for me in winter.

thomaschh

Banned
We haven't had a lot of rain recently, but we generally do (yay Seattle) and when I first got my GTI it was rainy and on the cold side and it was a disaster. It hasn't happened again, but when it did I had to pull over and wipe the windsheild down too - several times. Haven't even thought about it again until this thread popped up. Yeah, waiting until winter...

+tom

VdaWg

Yeah it's crazy how fast the fast fogs up. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this situation. I don't want to be driving and adjusting temp control during changing weather and temp and suddenly things fog up to the point of no vision. Maybe the defroster or defogger whatever that is will work. I can't wait till winter time. Weather in nyc during summer can get really hot and humid I want to see how the temp will mess with the climatic.

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I'm still undecided as to whether it's the car itself, or us not doing it properly. Seems to me like my Eclipse would clear up a hell of a lot faster, and wouldn't fog up nearly as fast. I had fun again on my way home tonight... I did get rid of it faster using the tips posted here, but there was still always something left in the corners and bottom part of the windshield.

:iono:

VdaWg

Yup..it's around 74 degrees F at the moment rainy and humid around 87% I was experimenting today and turning up the heat this type of weather will make more fog, but if you put the ac on (lowest) and blast it on here and there when it gets fogged, will clear it up almost instantly. Funny thing is when I do this and I open the windows the fog just rolls right in.

My procedure for this was:

When fogged turn on ac on front window defogger/froster setting (lowest)for about 30 seconds(something like that) windows clear up. But this procedure has to be repeated here and there to keep air in cabin dry and not moist.

VdaWg

nope..should look into that. I think it's a big safety hazard when this happens so quickly too. Have you tried that rainx?

NaterGator86

Touring Car Newbie
I love Rain X! With the rediculous amounts of rain we get in Florida, it's definitely a big help to have Rain X on the interstate. I've never used the Fog stuff though, so I can't speak for that.