GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flashing CEL light?

samguan

Ready to race!
Today when I started my car, the CEL light came on for about 5 seconds and gone.

Drove to work and never seen it again.. Should I be concerned? From my research, it's misfiring.
Any ideas?

Everything feels normal so far. Also can the code still be read with a reader? I still have my power train warranty, should I go to the dealer?

Tutti57

Ready to race!
There could be a code stored from it. It wouldn't hurt to take advantage of the warranty while you still have it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You'll need a scan to see if there's a code set in memory. Without a code set, the dealer will not replace anything for free. And that's only if it's coils. Could be a bad plug.

samguan

Ready to race!
thanks guys, I have setup an appointment to check what's going on. The dealer is going to charge me $145 unless the problem is covered by powertrain warranty. One guy from a different dealer said I should stop driving it immediately and call VW roadside assistance right now! ??? I have a OBDII reader, would that read the stored code or would you need something like VAGCOM?

Method82

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
flashing CEL in other cars i know of is an active misfire. if you do read your codes, don't clear them.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I think the code reader will pull that one - I do not believe VCDS will be necessary. For $145 you could replace all 4 coil packs ($89.95) and the plugs ($31.95).

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I think the code reader will pull that one - I do not believe VCDS will be necessary. For $145 you could replace all 4 coil packs ($89.95) and the plugs ($31.95).

I was going to say lol.

OP, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time or plan on modifying it, a Vag Com, the $350 one, is a good investment.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
was your car, by chance, parked for an extended period of time on an inclide/decline?

the reason i ask is because some mornings when i leave my car parked on the road in front of my house overnight or for a day, a CEL will flash when i first start the car for about 5-8 seconds. everytime i scan it with VCDS there are no stored or active codes. :iono:

only happens every once in a long while.

samguan

Ready to race!
The light came on and was off within 5 seconds. Yes there is a little incline. I'm going to read the code and report back. Thanks

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The light came on and was off within 5 seconds. Yes there is a little incline. I'm going to read the code and report back. Thanks
exactly what mine did, but there wasn't a stored code. came on right when i started it then went away within 5 seconds. only happened once or twice.

samguan

Ready to race!
just used my own OBDII reader and read the system. No code or anything.... I dont' think the dealer will find anything if there is no code. So I dont' think it's a good idea to bring my car back to the dealer and pay $142. I should just replace the plugs and coils.