GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Five Door

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What information did your dealer give you? My order went in mid-April when they first started taking orders and my car is currently in the factory order que to be built. I haven't seen anything to suggest they are actually being built yet...althoughI'd like to hope they get going soon.

Double-V said:
The Canadian and US 5-doors are already in production, based on the information my dealer provided on my car. If they started production in week 22, we wouldn't see the cars until at least week 36.

plac

GTI Master
My wife needs a 5 door cuz she takes people in back sometimes. I got the 3 door cuz im more sporty. So she'll be getting a 5 door GTI when they arrive.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
plac said:
My wife needs a 5 door cuz she takes people in back sometimes. I got the 3 door cuz im more sporty. So she'll be getting a 5 door GTI when they arrive.

you have a keeper of a wife :thumbsup: ...i wish i could talk my girl into a vdub...

road rider

Anyone done the math on the vehicle weights in the first post? 2.2kg to the pound, right?

2dr = 2805 lbs
4dr = 2882 lbs

where did volkswagon put the lead weight to make the US GTI so heavy?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My salesman called and said the 4-door I want should be here next week :thumbup:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
A41.8QTM said:
My salesman called and said the 4-door I want should be here next week :thumbup:

Sounds great.:thumbsup: I know the first dozen or so hit the ports on the 4th/5th. The next ones supposedly hit tomorrow.

My guy is saying week of July 31st now. Our first car somehow ended up with rear side-airbags which we didn't want with kids in car seats. As such we had to scramble and found one that was coming the 31st rather than the 17th.

Bugs

Ready to race!
didnt want rear side airbags because of kids? i would think thats more of a reason to get them

Which dealer called and said it was ready next week? where are you located? (may help the rest of us figure out on our own when ours will show up)_

ShangoAshe

Drag Racing Champion
I already ordered the 07 5-doors!! can' t WAIT till it gets shipped over!! personally i think its more practicle!! and also i find it better looking then 3 doors!! not that 3 doors not good looking but i prefer 5 doors!! haha XD hey what do u guys think?! im gonna pre-order rims and tires before car comes so i can switch'em and sell stock as brand new!! how does *OZ UltraLeggera sound?! maybe wif Pilot A/S Sports?!* GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!! (PM ME)

azmcs

Bugs said:
didnt want rear side airbags because of kids? i would think thats more of a reason to get them

Which dealer called and said it was ready next week? where are you located? (may help the rest of us figure out on our own when ours will show up)_

No there is a very distinct difference between the side curtain airbags and the side impact bags.

The curtains drop down from the top of the doors. These would be no risk for kids. The problem with the ones that fire from the doors themselves is they will impact the side of a babyseat and force it laterally (sideways). Most seats, other than the Recaro ones, do not have specific lateral head and neck support. This could put undue strain on little ones necks causing injury.

There is no study to definitively show this and is it a contensious issue in medical/paediatric circles. Current Amer. Academy of Pediatrics reqs though are to avoid side impact airbags with small children, just as they shouldn't ride in the fron seats until 8 years old, or >80lbs in body weight.

Last edited:

Bugs

Ready to race!
azmcs said:
No there is a very distinct difference between the side curtain airbags and the side impact bags.

The curtains drop down from the top of the doors. These would be no risk for kids. The problem with the ones that fire from the doors themselves is they will impact the side of a babyseaa and force it laterally (sideways). Most seats, other than the Recaro ones, do not have specific lateral head and neck support. This could put undue strain on little ones necks causing injury.

There is no study to definitively show this and is it a contensious issue in medical/paediatric circles. Current Amer. Acadamey of pediatrics reqs though are to avoid side impact airbags with small children, just as they shouldn't ride in the fron seats until 8 years old, or >80lbs in body weight.

I would think that the side impact of the car would out weight the negative effects of the side impact of the airbag themselves.

Ive only read good things about them, and such. Although I see where you are coming from.

We have no kids *yet*, but will certainly keep this in mind when shopping for baby seats

azmcs

Bugs said:
I would think that the side impact of the car would out weight the negative effects of the side impact of the airbag themselves.

Ive only read good things about them, and such. Although I see where you are coming from.

We have no kids *yet*, but will certainly keep this in mind when shopping for baby seats

As I said it is a contentious issue. As a physician, I won't be buying a car with them for my kids. The whole argument that "it should be safer" initially applied to front impact airbags too. Now look where we are for kids and front airbags? Food for thought.

GTi Tifosi

Passed Driver's Ed
the reason why i like the 5 door so much better is because of the looks. The 3 door is awsome too, but the 5 door just blows it outta the water. You really have to see the 3 and 5 door in person to really see what its all about. And yeah, the 2 extra doors are awsome to have especially going out around the town with friends. I can't wait to get mine in few weeks time!:thumbup:

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
As I said it is a contentious issue. As a physician, I won't be buying a car with them for my kids. The whole argument that "it should be safer" initially applied to front impact airbags too. Now look where we are for kids and front airbags? Food for thought.

According to this link it passes the SAB out of position test..meaning that it is supposedly safe for the car seats..that said I am still wary..after seeing the animation on the website
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3966.html