GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First! (In A Bad Way)

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Probably not the first, but I'm up there. I just got a call from Platinum VW that my turbo has failed, yay! I'd like to start by saying their service people are awesome, they gave me a loaner car before my car even got on the lift and the issue was diagnosed. The service techs and reps have been incredibly communicative thus far, and the person I have been working directly with has been super nice and apologetic about me having to wait until Monday for my car, I dropped the car off on 5/6/10 at 10am. Platinum is an APR authorized dealer and very mod friendly dealership, so although I bought my car at another dealership, I chose to take my car to Platinum. The turbo replacement is being completely covered under warranty. My car has a little over 22k miles on it, and either Dan GSR or myself has done all of the work on the car.

I am currently Stage 1 APR, but was previously Stage 2 with a catted 3" DP. A have a bunch of mods, but the only engine mods are: Full mounts, DV relocation, intake, and a boost tap right now.

Symptoms: CEL (Two codes, P0491 secondary air injection system, bank 1 too lean; and P0299 Turbocharger underboost) I also as of a week ago had what sounded like a rattling flex point on the downpipe, or a shot ceramic cat on an older car. The car held boost like a champ, made no "dentist drill" noise and although it rattled on deceleration, it otherwise felt pretty good, if not a little soft below 3K rpm.

Not too sure what actually happened to the turbo at this point, I'm hoping I can take a look at it when I pick up my car, but it's an IHI unit on a 2008.5 CBFA GTI and it's cooked. 10K miles stock, 12K miles at APR Stage 1 or Stage 2 combined. I was Stage 2 for about 4K miles.

I drive hard, but not too crazy. The car has never been tracked, or Autocrossed. Daily driver duties and some aggressive driving, that's about it. I use Motul X-Cess 5W40 every 5K miles for oil and do all service intervals myself.

Just wanted to put this post up for now, more to follow...

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
shitty man, glad you are getting it fixed under warranty though!

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
I wonder if my turbo is going... I'm leaking boost after 4k rpm and duty cycle stays at 95%.
I also get that rattling noise near the DP as well, but thought nothing of it till now.
It hasn't threw any of those codes and holds boost fine till 4k RPM then I start to lose about 1~2 psi. (not noticeable but shows on my logs)
but I will keep checking for fault codes.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
this is what's holding me on going Stage 2 or 2+, the cost of having to damage something major is the biggest issue once i've done this tune. I have seen too many Stage 2 or 2+ lately having issues either misfires, coils, boost problems, and now turbo failure...

i'm kind of speecheless right now after reading all these posts. I'm glad that this dealer is covering this under warranty, but not all dealers are the same, and majority of them will really charge you an arm and a leg.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Question, did the rattle sounded like there was something loose in the DP?
Was your DP clamped on to the catback?
My dp seem to rattle where the dp clamps to the catback.

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Question, did the rattle sounded like there was something loose in the DP?
Was your DP clamped on to the catback?
My dp seem to rattle where the dp clamps to the catback.

When I put the stock downpipe back on the car I upgraded the sleeve clamp from the OEM clamp to a Vibrant clamp, so the DP and the catback are definitely together. My DP sounded like it was "rattling" at the flange, I'm thinking it could have been the compressor wheel making the noise.

me too. i'm also an '08.5, and mine happened around 26k. i'm stage 1.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108631

Hmm...troubling. I was searching for other failures, but missed your thread.

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
i'm experiencing that rattle underneath my car and also sounded like a metal creaking. i'm close on my warranty and lately i've been pulling my hair out coz of it. now i see ur post :mad0259:. tho i don't have a cel

i'm going to another dealer to have it check again

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Update. Picked up my car this morning. The tech said the block off plate on my DV relocation could have "blocked" the turbo somehow and caused the failure. I called bullshit and told him to reinstall the relocation and give me the D valve and it'll put it in place of my current G when I have a chance.

I ended up having to pay $187 for 1.5hrs labor because they were putting a block-off plate in place of the DV. Although it would have been completed covered under warranty if I gave them back the stock parts to remove the DV relocation. Doesn't make much sense to me being that taking out the relocation would take more time than putting the plate back on the turbo, but wasn't looking to really argue over that.

Anyone else think a block off plate could kill a turbo?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Considering the FSI motors use the same blockoff plate setup Im calling bullshit on that.
Glad to see everything worked out for you under warranty man