GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

External wastegate?

OBBI

Apex clipper
Car(s)
09 5dr GTI
just wondering if there is a company that offers an external wastegate for the mkv (fsi) motor, and if there isnt which external wastegate can be used on our cars.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
You would only be able to use an external wastegate if you had an upgraded turbo that wasn't internally gated.

OBBI

Apex clipper
Car(s)
09 5dr GTI
would the bsh WOA kit gt 30 qualify me to run an external wastegate to be more specific a tial 38 mm.

07Noside

Banned
would the bsh WOA kit gt 30 qualify me to run an external wastegate to be more specific a tial 38 mm.

it comes with one.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
maybe ... the cool sound? lol

Some dig the sound of controlled exhuast leaks where i live some much, they mount 38mm ewg's on their internally wastegated turbo setups with both gates in operation.... I guess i am old and not hip anymore, but how does an external dump to atmosphere sound so good or cool to anyone?

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
umm the dump isnt really all that loud, specially if you got an exhaust. that sound will get drounded out, i ran one on my civic and i couldnt hear anything but the exhaust and the turbo spool =) now runnin an internal an ewg...i never even heard of that, lol

07Noside

Banned
umm the dump isnt really all that loud, specially if you got an exhaust. that sound will get drounded out, i ran one on my civic and i couldnt hear anything but the exhaust and the turbo spool =) now runnin an internal an ewg...i never even heard of that, lol

performance gains as well. On the STI's they do this commonly on the stock turbo. Get a block off plate for the internal gate swap to external and they are claiming 15 some odd hp gains from it. Funny this thread came up though I was reading up on this on IWSTI.com this morning.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI

If it's setup to dump to atmosphere, instead of rerouting it back into the exhuast down stream of the turbo, I have no problem hearing the exhuast being dumped when the valve is being opened. It's pretty loud on cars I have been around on the street.

As for the two in operation I don't understand it either. If you need more flow to bypass the turbine to control boost, most people bypass the internal gates by welding the gate or use a solid rod to keep the gate shut and use extrenal gate instead,but why keep a internal gate in operation with an external gate? It beat me, I don't even know how well it controls boost for them either...

ThumbThumbs

Banned
performance gains as well. On the STI's they do this commonly on the stock turbo. Get a block off plate for the internal gate swap to external and they are claiming 15 some odd hp gains from it. Funny this thread came up though I was reading up on this on IWSTI.com this morning.

getting rid of the gti?

OBBI

Apex clipper
Car(s)
09 5dr GTI

so technically if i get a block off plate for the ko3 wastegate, i can run a external wastegate. so which block off plate can i use in conjunction with our turbo.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
so technically if i get a block off plate for the ko3 wastegate, i can run a external wastegate. so which block off plate can i use in conjunction with our turbo.

There would be more to it than that, Yes you would have to figure out a way to shut the internal gate, either weld it or a solid connecting rod, then you would have to fabricate or purchase a wastegate flange (38mm or 44mm)
Then you have to remove your turbo form the engine, separate the manifold from the rest of the turbo.
Then you have to drill, machine and/or port a hole on manifold.
After that you would have to clean the cast and weld the wastegate flange onto the manifold. (which isn't an easy task to weld cast).
Then you can assemble everything, fine tune the cracking pressure to the software's liking.....but all for what, I think our internal wastegate’s port flows enough without any effect to backpressure or boost creep, if you curious it would be easier to just yank the turbo off the motor and port the waste gate port itself to 28mm.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
if your goin for sound, this is not worth it at all imo. IF you want to hold boost better, get the new Forge actuator. This doesnt sound like something worth doing, id say get a turbo that actually utilizes an ewg, go big or go home =)