GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experience Exporting VW to Germany?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Work has sent me to Germany for an indefinite period of time. Long story short, I need a car due to where I work, and I'm trying to compare buying a car in Germany vs shipping the GTI over. So far, 2 things have become obvious: 1) Buying a car in Germany is freakin expensive. I cannot believe what people pay for a 100hp Golf here. Throw in the 19% VAT tax and it is shockingly pricey. Why do they put up with this?! 2) I cannot seem to get a clear answer from the customs authorities on the duty I might have to pay, and I can't get an official checksheet from TUV (the inspection people) on exactly what they need to see on the car. It will be a hassle. But even if I throw out $3000 shipping the car, I can easily pay that in tax alone on a new or used car that isn't half as enjoyable as the GTI.

What I can seem to gather is that I need to add a rear foglight. And the Xenon headlamps need the headlamp washers. I've heard rumblings blinker lights must be orange (which they are, right?)....though I wonder if parking lights must be clear? I notice on BMWs that the headlamps are slightly different.

Anyway, anyone EVER done this for these cars? What am I looking at? Few bulbs, Euro headlamp switch, some programming in Vagcom, install headlamp washers (is this possible since we already have the opening panels on our cars?), adjust headlamp angles? Or am I looking at swapping out all the light housings front and rear (does that include the expensive Xenon units?) and a bunch of other nitpicky garbage?

Would be great to have the car here, but if I don't know what I have to do until the car sits in TUV and they're telling me all the things that need changing for $5000 then forget it. I'm already leaning that way anyways. Which means I'll end up prob getting a small boring car, because I'm just too cheap to pay 5000 EUR tax on a 25000 EUR car and walk out shelling out 30k for a junky car. So I'll just go really junky and cheap and something that doesn't use a ton of gas. Be a shame. Bought the GTI with plans to keep it for a very long time, as it is near ideal for me. But life changes sometimes. Hate to have to give up the car.

Appreciate any help offered, particularly parts and prices. I can possibly do a lot of work myself and avoid having to pay someone here.

aus-phil

Ready to race!
More hassle then it's worth imo. Like you say there might be a chance your car will take more $ and time than expected to get it to German specs and if they're not willing to provide that info to you before you ship it over well then that's just asking for trouble.

Buy a vehicle that you'll never get a chance to drive in the US. e.g. Ford Focus RS!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How long are you going to be there? What you need to do is have a friend who is in the military. They can ask their travel office what you need. I know my friends who took a car over had no issues but they were there only three years.

To anyone who wonders why most cars in Europe have small engines look up the price of petrol.