GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Euro

VdaWg

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Don't you just wish that the US had euro style plates and Euro everything else in the car? I know I do.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
I can care less whether my license plate is a fat rectangle or a skinny one but a lot of the other euro features are cool.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
There's is longer, ours is taller:iono: Personally, I always take the front one off anyways.

VdaWg

I mean out of the box they have more features don't they? Plus aren't the euro mkv's already dropped to begin with? I don't mean euro everything like gas and insurance...just for the car itself. You're lucky kirk here in NY you can't take off the front plates. I've seen people who have US plates and then put on euro plates just below that, looks awkward to me,to busy looking.:smile:

Joe Diver

DFW Wolfpack Schlagetot
I don't know if this still holds true, but in the past many of the Euro cars could not be sold here because they do not meet our safety standards or our emission requirements. Why would you want a car that is less safe and pollutes more? On the flip side, Euro spec German cars are geared and designed with the autobahn in mind...when I lived in Germany I had a 79 320 Beemer....it had the carburated inline 6 with 5 speed...same engine the 635 had but not FI....US 320's had a 4 cylinder....it ran on regular gas and had been modified with a bigger carb and free flowing exhaust....in town it would backfire between shifts, but out on the autobahn it ran really well...my cruising speed was 240 kph and that car would do it all day long....at cruising speed, I could get 45 to 55 mins on a tank.

cmdrfire

Joe Diver said:
I don't know if this still holds true, but in the past many of the Euro cars could not be sold here because they do not meet our safety standards or our emission requirements...

Fuels in the EU are generally cleaner (especially diesel). Cars which are more environmentally-friendly here because of the cleaner fuels are less environmentally-friendly in the US because the fuels are not as clean (look at the propensity of diesel-fuelled cars in the EU, which are often as clean as if not cleaner than petrol ones - they cannot be sold in the US simply because the quality of diesel there is several years behind).

As to the safety regulations - I cannot comment. I will say that some European cars are the safest in the world, and that Euro-NCAP, our safety procedures, are meant to be amongst the highest in the world. I don't know enough about US procedures to comment further.
I heard the reason that the US has a ride-height increase, though, was regarding safety in car-SUV collisions.

We do get TPM as standard here, as well as the lowered ride height. I would like not to have to put the front plate on the car, but there's not much I can do about that.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
VdaWg said:
You're lucky kirk here in NY you can't take off the front plates. I've seen people who have US plates and then put on euro plates just below that, looks awkward to me,to busy looking.:smile:
I don't think you are suppose to ride around in Ohio without a front plate either. But in my field of work I speak with a lot of officers and they have all told me that they have never pulled someone over for not having a front plate (even when they notice it). This includes the state troopers I have spoke with. I've obviously seen plenty of officers in the last few years and have been facing the opposite direction as them at a red light, to where they have had plenty of time to see I don't have a plate. Still haven't been pulled over though:iono: My last 3 cars haven't had a front plate on them. Do you think your state would actually enforce the law?

As far as two plates on the front goes...now that's :barf: way too busy.

Also, I haven't noticed any traffic cameras around here. I know there are suppose to be a couple here and there. But none that I pass. If I did pass one I would get that spray can that makes your plate a blur. I think all you people who have to drive around those cameras should put that clear reflective spray on your plate that doesn't allow the camera to read your plate. And best of all, you can look right at the plate and not tell that it's on there. Have you guys seen this stuff in the back of mags?

VdaWg

I think they would enforce it. The only cars I see here that have anychance with getting away with it would be out of state cars. I've heard about that spray, but I heard it works only for cameras that use flash or when flash is needed. I guess Europe isn't the land of suv's then. Does that drop actually make a difference in the car/suv crash tests? What's TPM? How about the exhaust system any difference in Europe than the US?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I was told and believe I read somewhere that the raise in suspension is for speed bump laws. I've never heard about the SUV one until I came to this site. Europe has SUV's as well. Just not as many people driving them. They have about as many people driving Smarts over there that we have driving SUV's. (And that's a lot.:biggrin:) But every time I go there me or a friend always seem to make the comment about the lack of SUV's everywhere. It's just so noticeable.

cmdrfire

VdaWg said:
I think they would enforce it. The only cars I see here that have anychance with getting away with it would be out of state cars. I've heard about that spray, but I heard it works only for cameras that use flash or when flash is needed. I guess Europe isn't the land of suv's then. Does that drop actually make a difference in the car/suv crash tests? What's TPM? How about the exhaust system any difference in Europe than the US?

TPM is Tyre Pressure Monitoring.

Don't know about the exhaust system difference, though I might've heard it somewhere before. Wouldn't know :iono:

I can't use the reflective spray stuff because if a cop pulls up behind me at night and he can't read the plate with his hi-beams on, then I can be done for 3 points and £3000 or something stupid for tampering with my license plate :frown:

VdaWg

I think the US has tpm standard as well..from what I read in the manual...i think. I hear the 07 GTI's for US is going to have the suspensio drop. I wonder since they're going to do that for the 07 as standard, would the 06 GTI's be able to get the drop and not have warranty problems.

cmdrfire

I thought that the US didn't have TPM because you guys don't have that little button on your dash to reset tyre pressures... if you do, my apologies, I just recall that some US GTIs at least don't have it and there was speculation from US members as to what the button did on EU cars.

VdaWg

Maybe I'm wrong about the tpm. I heard it somewhere or read it somewhere I'm going to check my manual.