GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS & Alzor 020 problems

dewr41

Ready to race!
ECS & Alzor 020/881 problems *Update w/ pics*

So I've had the Alzor 881s (they were advertised as 020s at one point) on back order for a couple of months and they finally arrived today. After reading other reviews about ECS/Alzor people seem pretty happy so I was confident in buying from them. Now I'm not normally one to rant but so far my experience with ECS has not been great, I think their customer service could be little better.

The wheels themselves are nice, I plan to post a review and pics when I get them mounted as I have found nothing previously on the 881s.

First off, I only received 2 out of 4 hubcentric rings. No big deal, I'm sure they'll send some more out next week.

However, one thing that's great about Alzor wheels is that you can use OEM hardware to mount. Or so I thought... even though the webpage (click here) says ball seat lug bolts, as you can see from the below picture I will need some conical ones. I find it pretty annoying that I'm going to have to shell out about $100 for new lug bolts including locks when one of the reasons I went with them was the OEM fitment.

There is also a blemish on one of the wheels from casting, see pic below. Doesn't look too deep but what do people think??

Anyone else had experiences like mine with ECS/Alzor wheels?

Last edited:

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
I was going to buy these, until they rose the price from 399 to 529.

Also, get read for the "reps are reps" crowd. You know they are going to chime in.

dewr41

Ready to race!
Lol yeah I'm ready, reps are reps and you get what you pay for. I'm not too worried about the blemish, but advertising them as ball seat when they're conical is pretty bad!

Oh and I placed my order when they were still 399 ;)

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Lol yeah I'm ready, reps are reps and you get what you pay for. I'm not too worried about the blemish, but advertising them as ball seat when they're conical is pretty bad!

Oh and I placed my order when they were still 399 ;)

Send the one with the blemish back. That is a casting defect. you do not know how far that defect goes. Would you like to have that wheel fall apart if you hit a large enough pot hole?

sherwood

Ready to race!
Send the bad wheel back
Thanks for posting this, I was considering these wheels, Passing now

Send it back for sure. Although this is the first issue I have heard about the Alzor line of wheels, think I am in the same boat as above and will just save a little more to get some VMRs.

dewr41

Ready to race!
Send it back for sure. Although this is the first issue I have heard about the Alzor line of wheels, think I am in the same boat as above and will just save a little more to get some VMRs.

Yeah I did my research so it's a shame my set are bad. We'll see what they say tomorrow about the lug bolts and sending it back.

swfk

Ready to race!
It is nearly impossible for after market wheels to be ball seat. Alzor wheels are also OEM reps so those may just be ball seat. However these are BBS reps so they're cone for sure. Just get some cone seat bolts, they're very cheap and are nice to have around if you swap wheels all the time.

dewr41

Ready to race!
It is nearly impossible for after market wheels to be ball seat. Alzor wheels are also OEM reps so those may just be ball seat. However these are BBS reps so they're cone for sure. Just get some cone seat bolts, they're very cheap and are nice to have around if you swap wheels all the time.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, it's just a PITA to buy new bolts & locks when they falsely advertise I can use ball seat bolts.

Last edited:

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!

neuspeed's line of wheels are ball seat, so I wouldnt say they are impossible to find

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
dewr41 please keep us posted and would you post pictures when you get these wheels on your car please!:thumbsup:

dewr41

Ready to race!
dewr41 please keep us posted and would you post pictures when you get these wheels on your car please!:thumbsup:

Will do :cool:. I was hoping to get them on tomorrow but that's not going to happen. I have a little review that I will post with pictures also.

Some progress today, ECS said they will send me a new wheel with some conical wheel bolts, and 2 more hubcentric rings, which has restored a little bit of my faith in them. I will be much happier when these are finally on the car, I've waited too long for little hiccups like this!

They changed the blurb on the webpage to conical wheel bolts too :laugh:.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
Will do :cool:. I was hoping to get them on tomorrow but that's not going to happen. I have a little review that I will post with pictures also.

Some progress today, ECS said they will send me a new wheel with some conical wheel bolts, and 2 more hubcentric rings, which has restored a little bit of my faith in them. I will be much happier when these are finally on the car, I've waited too long for little hiccups like this!

They changed the blurb on the webpage to conical wheel bolts too :laugh:.

dewr41

Ready to race!
I waxed the 3 good wheels today with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. The original finish on the wheels was smooth but 'tacky', now it's silky smooth. This should keep the brake dust from sticking and add a little more protection, I will reapply in about 30 days.

Before wax on the left, after wax on the right. As you can see, added shine :).

After getting really up close and personal with the wheels I would give the finish a 7/10. It's good but could be better, you can also see the machine lines on the lip.

I also ordered some 70mm center cap stickers, the center cap on these is 73mm, I will also paint them black as they are a tacky chrome now.

Can't wait to get these on now!