GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Recall

DonHowson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I finally got the recall notice for the DSG problem which causes it to go into neutral. They say it is due to faulty wiring to the DSG oil temperature sensor causing it to read an over heating condition which results in the clutch disengaging. This is no surprise and many owners have had this sensor replaced.

What is surprising is VW's fix for this: reprogramming the DSG! It sounds like instead of replacing the faulty sensor/wiring, they are going to reprogram the DSG to ignore the sensor.

If this is true, and the DSG really does overheat, we might be SOL and have to deal with a fried transmission.

Nice.

.../don

Shoot! Could someone move this thread to the General Discussion?

ObeyMyFast!

^Who I am...What I say->
I thought this has been discussed...

michail77

Go Kart Champion
Kind of like how they fix robotic space probes -- bypass the problem with software.

Perhaps since the DSG has been out for so long now they have determined there is little risk in that condition happening?

I have the manual and I doubt there is any sort of overheating protection built in.

I'm a software engineer myself and I've seen systems where overzealous checks and error handling cause more problems then they solve.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
My understanding was that they were indeed disabling that one sensor, but that they could rely on two other sensors to guard against an overheat condition.

Yeah, it's a little chintzy, but given the number of vehicles involved, I'm sure they're looking for a way to stem their losses.