GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Recall / Campaign Clarification

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Running some searching, reading some threads, but having a bit of confusion as to what is up with the DSG "recall".

In spring 2009, I had the mechatronics unit replaced because I was having the common (at that time) light throttle, stop-and-go traffic surging problem. Since that time, the surging is gone. However, I continued to have a 2-3 gear upshift thunk, and some rather un-smooth downshifts, and a tiny clunk into 1st gear.

So, in March 2010, I was able to replicate the 2-3 upshift for the dealership, and they ran a software update that fixed that problem.

Since March 2010, I have been basically satisfied with the transmission. Yes, it is a little clunky at low speeds, but it isn't anything that sounds awful. Most of the time I don't even notice it.

My question:
What is the deal with this latest campaign? Is this yet ANOTHER thing for the transmission?

Two: Why have I not received a letter? Because my mechatronics was replaced in spring 2009, do I already have a replacement unit and thus do not need to have it replaced again?

Rather confused here. Dealership can be a real stinker about things sometime, so best to go in armed :)

nitroscope8

Ready to race!
If you have the latest unit, you will have "completed" shown for the mech unit recall. Call the dealer and have them look it up for your VIN. If you have been done, no worries!

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
I called VWoA yesterday since my dealer is worthless. They verified the recall was completed on my car and is now covered by the 10 yr 100k warranty for any DSG related issues. I'd call the dealer first but if they don't give you the answer you are looking for then try VW. She had all the info for me and was very pleasant about it.

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Ok, followed up with VWoA today as well.

They are stating that my mechatronics unit that was replaced in spring 2009 means that the recall letter currently going out to all other owners doesn't apply to my car because the unit has already been replaced with a newer unit. thus, I am not subject to this latest recall / customer campaign.

Now, however, I wonder if the units being put into cars right now is the same or different than the mechatronics unit I got in 2009?

Suppose we got the 10year/100k warranty if anything does come up....

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I NEVER GOT MY LETTER TOO!

I ran my vin thru two different vw shops, they said "yes your letter will be there in late february" Its almost april.

spacehippo

Passed Driver's Ed
I ran my vin and somehow I'm not eligible or it hasn't come up?

My build date is 07/07 with a 2008 model year DSG GTI.

I'm not sure, I have been majorly confused about this and my dealer is of course no help to me.

Went to the recall section on the site and it said there are no pending recalls for me.
But then I also understand that this isn't a "true" recall?

Throughly confused.

Last edited:

Manheim81c

Go Kart Champion
I believe the recall was for late 2008's,2009's and (I think) 2010's

I have an 09 and received the letter(recall) a few months later,took the car in,they did what they needed to do and that was it. :thumbsup:

XRayHipp

So my '06 is safe from these dsg issues? just checkin and im too lazy for research...

BIGSLICK

Ready to race!
I believe the recall was for late 2008's,2009's and (I think) 2010's

I have an 09 and received the letter(recall) a few months later,took the car in,they did what they needed to do and that was it. :thumbsup:

I have an 09 that I purchased in December 08 and I haven't recieved a letter yet. I also called a couple of dealers to have them run my vin, and both said that "there are no existing recalls for my car". :iono:

Manheim81c

Go Kart Champion
I have an 09 that I purchased in December 08 and I haven't recieved a letter yet. I also called a couple of dealers to have them run my vin, and both said that "there are no existing recalls for my car". :iono:

Mine was purchased in May of 2009..there is a thread with the DSG/Flash of Death,a few people actually posted their letters from VW with the recall.

Do a search and it will come up..............

minilowz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
10 Jetta TDI Cup
My 07 Was recalled, build date of 3/07, car drives better than when I bought it, and I'm glad its got a long warranty on it too :)

XRayHipp

Fed, unless its constructive to the learning process, with sugar on top.... STFU... please?