GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problems - PRNDS flashing

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
So the other day i was driving home and all of a sudden while I'm in manual mode it flashes to the PRNDS screen and started flashing. Then i went back and forth from D to + - to see if it was a glitch since i never seen this happen before. I put the car in park and shut it off to see if it would reset. I couldnt start the car up, eventually i got it out of gear by going through the gears and back to park. But the flashing continued.

A little bit about my car. The shift boot was removed because i was laying carbon fiber over the shifter surrounding. Im thinking this might have caused the problem but i dont know why.

My car a 2008.5 GTI DSG with TSI motor (CBFA) with basic bolt on mods, APR carbonio intake, S3 intercooler, 42DD downpipe with a custom catback, KO4 and APR flash.

Here are the codes that i got:
00511 - Selector Lever (E313) Malfunction Intermittent
00653 - Selector Lever/Auto Trans Plausibility No Signal/ No Communication Intermittent
17204 - Message from selector lever emergency operation P0820

Any help would be appreciated. I cant really cough up money for a new transmission or mechatronic unit at the moment.

Mentioning the Mechatronic Unit i had the recall done around 40,000 miles and current at 69XXX.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Dont clear the codes, take it to the dealer, something is def broke.
This happened to me and there was some sort of super magical german unicorn DSG magnet that was broke.

If you need more info google search for "Flashing PRNDS of Death" and you will see lots of other people with similar dsg issues.

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
do you remember what they had to fix? and how much it was?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
There could be several different things that could be the culprit, its not just one thing.
Liek I said there was some sort of magnet that was the issue with my car.
Just take it back to the dealer and they should be able to handle it as your DSG should have a 100k warranty on it.

*100k warranty only applies to mechatronic unit and only if your VIN is part of the recall. Please check yoru vin before demanding free ish from the dealer.

*I am by no means a licesnsed VW tech, all my words should be taken with a grain of salt, I am a smartass, I drink too much, I hate dealing with stupid people, and enjoy long walks on the beach.

Last edited:

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Fucking German Unicorns and their magic

k3v0

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
i've had this happen before, happens maybe once a year. definitely go get scanned but when i did they said occasionally the flappy paddles can't communicate with CANBUS and it freaks out. no problems after turning the car off and back on again.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There could be several different things that could be the culprit, its not just one thing.
Liek I said there was some sort of magnet that was the issue with my car.
Just take it back to the dealer and they should be able to handle it as your DSG should have a 100k warranty on it.

That's ONLY for the mech. unit and only you're car is in the VIN range. Please don't post bad info.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Here are the codes that i got:
00511 - Selector Lever (E313) Malfunction Intermittent
00653 - Selector Lever/Auto Trans Plausibility No Signal/ No Communication Intermittent
17204 - Message from selector lever emergency operation P0820

I think your instincts are already pointing you in this direction, as you've had enough foresight to mention that you've been fiddling with the surround.

My guess is that this has nothing to do with your mechatronic, and everything to do with the shift lever. I'd make sure the wiring loom is still firmly connected to the lever assembly, and that none of the wires were damaged when you were working.

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
well the dealer says i have to replace the whole shifter assembly.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Cheaper than a mechatronic swap, at least, and much easier. What do they say is wrong? Did you backtrack to see if anything you worked on may have left something loose?

akaprince

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI BMP 2DR DSG
all i did was remove the shifter plate to apply carbon fiber adhesive to it and i noticed when ever i went from D to + - it make a strange clicking noise. and one day it just started flashing on me. the service adviser said it could be causes by wear over time or something could of spilled into the gear lever but i doubt he knows what hes talking about.

pan.pep

en exw ipothesi pelle!!!
Car(s)
Bncy Wäbit
Happened to me when i pushed the shifter all the way without applying the brakes. The plastic parts inside broke and the magnets were not in place so it couldnt read any gear and it wouldnt let the car start. the shifter can not be dismantled. BUT. it costs aroind 800 euro from the dealer. i bought a use d complete assembly from a crashed car. But it wasnt the same. So i diamantled both, used pieces from the used one and fixed mine. Try it but be very carefull

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta