GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG clutch change

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
A mate of mine worked in an Audi dealership up until last week and was telling me a story about a customer with an A3 2.0T that had worn out the clutches in his car. I guess too much hill holding or launch control action.

Too them 2 days to change the clutches and nearly $5K later!!!!! :eyebulge:

We've got to try and figure out a DIY solution for this eventually.

sausage

Ready to race!
Yes... the DSG clutch will eventually need to be changed... they are just like the clutches on the manual car...
but 5k to change the clutch?? Brave act from the dealer to charge that much

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
They're a twin wet clutch setup though, so must be quite a bit more expensive. I can't imagine there being too may aftermarket replacement kits available yet.

sausage

Ready to race!
yeah... given the the twin wet clutch etc... I would expect no more than 2500 to replace them... including DSG oil too...!
Just a guestimate... anyone have a firm figure?
anyone know how often they need to be changed?

sausage

Ready to race!
don't think it will be included in the warranty. Clutch is something that will wear and tear overtime just like your tyre.....
Having said that... I'm not exactly sure whether its in the warranty or not

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
If a clutch is pulled out within warranty and it's found to have a manufacturing defect, then you're good. If it's worn out, then you're up for both parts and labour.

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
If you launch control the car every day and use the accelerator to hold the car at the lights on hills, then you're going to be up for a very expensive bill.

I don't think any dealer or manufacturer will cover that under warranty.

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
I remember seeing a VW DSG release and video saying that it should last the life of the car. Wether this is 100,000km or 200,000kms, who knows. It's a friction material, so the wear rate is really driver dependant.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
The 60k service includes a DSG service and is supposed to be $1300 or something, not sure if thats just replacing the oil or what they do though.

gmc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2014 Golf R
The 60k service includes a DSG service and is supposed to be $1300 or something, not sure if thats just replacing the oil or what they do though.

Yes, I'm up for this service in about 3 weeks. It includes about 7 litres of DSG gear oil @ around $40/L... includes a filter as well I believe.

Have looked up the gear oil change procedure and the dealer diagnostic tool is required to refil the box unfortunately... :(

The gear oil also bathes the wet clutches, so it's a huge volume compared to a std manual gearbox.

Last edited: