GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

downpipe now sounds catless after dsg shift

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
just happened about 20 minutes ago , but i was going in the parking structure, and was giving my car the daily run through the empty parking lot

today though , after the shift at around 4k rpm , i heard a loud pop, almost like a gun shot,

now my techtonics tuning downpipe (200cell cat) sounds like it's running catless

did i blow my exhaust or something?

stock catback btw

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
The AWE website offers a possible explanation:

Most companies use inexpensive domestic cats with a single lobe design.

These low cost domestic metal cats run around $80-100 each and only have a bare minimum of precious metal coating. They are also a wound construction. Corrugated metal sheets are "wound" into a cylinder, and stuffed in a can. Such a simple construction methods typically result in "telescoping" of the core center over time, which ultimately destroys the cat.

The HJS cat in our downpipes has a tri-lobe design that makes it very strong. Further, the metal sheet is wound and then brazed together to ensure integrity under the harshest pounding. It simply will not "telescope".

The HJS units are about four times the cost of the cheap domestic cats but we feel the quality construction, proven track record and the ability to pass emissions more than makes up for the higher price.

BlAcKwIdOw29

3124/5000
By the description you gave it sounds like you have a bad cat. But fortunately they're relatively cheap to replace and probably will cost you about $100 or so.