GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe if on stock tune worth it...

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Looking at exhaust upgrades and cant decide if it is really worth getting a downpipes if I do not plan on getting stage 1 tune. I will have to have cat as i have to pass emissions and wont be tuning it to get rid of the CEL. Did some searching and not really found information on power gains if they they where worth the price of a DP w/ cat with stock tune. I know stg 2 it is one of the mods needed.

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
Not planning on tuning it for some time to come still...so i will just go with the assumption to keep the stock dp with stock tune is the best all around for now...

Rude Jr

Drummer for Subject 16
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, Mk2 TT RS
To answer your question, no. No it's not worth it and no there's no gains. If anything, you'll see a loss of tq

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Wait a min... nearly 2200 posts and then this thread?

I've lost all faith in the internets....

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Idk some people just baffle me.. it's like its there first at bat with the interwebs and they strike out no matter how long they've been stepping up to the plate.

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
To answer your question, no. No it's not worth it and no there's no gains. If anything, you'll see a loss of tq

BS.

I ran a 3" dp w/ cat, 2.5" cat back for a week before going from stock tune to stg 2 and I most def felt a difference.

Although I no long have the time slips to prove but the gains showed in my 1/4 mile times.

firstorbit84

Ready to race!
BS.

I ran a 3" dp w/ cat, 2.5" cat back for a week before going from stock tune to stg 2 and I most def felt a difference.

Although I no long have the time slips to prove but the gains showed in my 1/4 mile times.
This^

OP, it will definitely give you gains, but no where near the gains you'll get if you tune it as well...

<10-15hp (similar to difference in stg1 to stg2, but probably a bit less because of stock tune)

You'll also need o2 sensor spacers to prevent CEL

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
BS.

While you did feel some gains I think we can all agree that the gains are minimal until you get tuned to take advantage of the upgraded downpipe. I believe the gains would be 5-20 HP at the most because the stock tuning isn't going to be able to adapt to such a change in a large way.

Tl;dr - Sure there are some gains but other than a sound increase you might as well tune it first or tune it very shortly after downpipe install.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Do it. Post results. Only way to tell whos right and whos wrong

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Do it. Post results. Only way to tell whos right and whos wrong

APR tested it on a MK6 a while back. Thread is over on GolfMK6.

+16 HP and +14 TQ.
Pic here:

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
But of course all the "experts" chime in with "facts" to tell him what an idiot he is. More often than not the case on vw and bmw forums. Most of whom don't know the first thing about cars, just the drivel they've read since coming to the board, which being mostly wrong of course armed them with inaccurate info and a few buzz words they can throw around to make their case seem a bit more convincing.

Yes man, getting rid of the restrictive cats will increase flow and therefor power. More flow you demand of the stock system the greater the gains, so a stock car will not gain as much as a "tuned" car but there are still gains. Read up on performance turbo charging, don't look to brand or car specific internet forums for your answers, at best you'll end up with info that's heavily colored by the persons brand allegiance and limited knowledge and at worst you can ruin your car following the advice.

That said, a tune+dp is the min you should do to these cars. :)

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
:thumbsup:Angel

Downpipes with a stock tune will give a decent gain and if you are going to do the exhaust you might was well do the dp.

I drove for 6 months on stock tune w/dp and it was great, than I got Revo stage 2 and I felt dumb for waiting so long.

IMO I would get the dp now and than wait for a big show to get reflashed as they always run great discounts on the flash($450 for my revo flash at waterfest)