GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe dilemma - BBoat or Eurojet?

KenTX

No, Money Down!
I went APR stage 1 a few months ago, and my next step is getting a downpipe and flashed to stage 2. All I want is simple, reliable performence, not sound, or anything else out of this mod. This will be the last engine mod I do to my car.

BillyBoat has a groupbuy going on the downpipe and cat for $440 shipped, which is extremely tempting. Definitely the right quality/price, and I like that they were the previous supplier for APR. My only concern is that it's not resonated. I dont want any droning or excessive noise.

Next up is Eurojet. To compare apples to apples, the EJ downpipe + cat are $543 shipped (vs. BB @ $440) However, I think what I really would want from Eurojet is the downpipe+cat+resonator, which is $617 shipped.

So...I guess my question is, when is the next big Eurojet sale going to be? I suspect they're still trying to recover from bringing up so many resellers, and adjust to the new model...so it might be a while.

Comments welcome.

Last edited:

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
I'd get whatever is cheapest and then add one of those large round Magnaflow center resonators.

Lots of guys on here have added them and they basically make up the straight pipe going to the axle back and make the cars super quiet without any loss of performance.

CandyWhiteTSi

Tittie Tickler
Car(s)
08.5 GTI
I just installed my Eurojet dp yesterday, and also was flashed to stage 2.. I went for the catted non-resonated dp, and it sounds stock-ish putting around, but once you get on it, it sounds mean as hell...

The install went smoothly, and everything bolted right up. No modifications needed, and was a perfect fit. The modular design, as well as the v-bands make it idiot proof.

I was in your shoes while I was researching dp's, and it was between the BB and the 42DD pipes before the new EJ pipe was offered. The biggest thing for me, besides the modular, v-band sections, was that there was no trimming involved. To mate the BB to the stock cat-back, you have to cut like 2.5" off of it. Not a big deal, but I really don't want to have to cut a brand new shiny exhaust up.

You pay a little more for the EJ, but get the catted/ res. version, and if you want it louder, you can buy the straight pipe and swap it in. I'd hate to have to hack up a new dp to add a resonator..

VWconvert

ozone killer..
Car(s)
06 gti
I installed a catless eurojet dp on my car and the modular design kicks ass. No trimming or modifications necessary. Bolt up and go.

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
this isnt much of a dilemma. Ill tell ya from experience, a 3" dp with a cat to a stock dp is pretty quiet. Just take the BB route, since its the cheaper of the two, and great quality as you stated.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
^3" DP to stock catback is what he probably meant to say.
If you don't mind the smell go with catless.