GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Down pipe Exhaust Bracket-- Do 3" Exhausts Cause Damage

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I was at a new shop yesterday (my regular shop closed). While putting in collars on subframe, the mechanic pointed out the bracket was broken. Said it needs to be replaced and that my down pipe was at risk of breaking since it's holding the weight of the exhaust.

I ordered the new part ($38 from VW).
Anyone have this part fail?
The mechanic said this part will always fail when using a 3" exhaust, lasting on average no more than 4 months. Any commentary on that? How "at risk" is the DP in the short term while I wait for the part to ship in?

Thanks for you thoughts.​

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
3" dp here.. no issues, mechanics an idiot

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Like most mechanics he has no idea what hes talking about

MDmkvug

breaking bad
He's just asking you for more labor and will tell you to buy an downpipe to his choosing charge you hundreds and scam you get your car and run find a shop you can trust or DIY

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
The size of the exhaust should not matter as long as the mounts on downpipe are welded on with good alignment to the mount on the subframe, and the engine isn't moving too much. I've had the rubber on the mount tear, but that stopped when I installed a poly dog bone insert. Your sig says K04, if you're running stock motor mounts I can easily see the lower downpipe mount being stressed.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
The size of the exhaust should not matter as long as the mounts on downpipe are welded on with good alignment to the mount on the subframe, and the engine isn't moving too much. I've had the rubber on the mount tear, but that stopped when I installed a poly dog bone insert. Your sig says K04, if you're running stock motor mounts I can easily see the lower downpipe mount being stressed.

I was forced to find a new mechanic... I think the new guy I went to must be an idiot! At least based on responses so far... Plus didn't get a good feel speaking with him. Boston did you change your exhaust bracket given the tear in the rubber? That's the extent of what I saw when the tech said the bracket was broken. I'm going to take a closer look now to see if its truly broken.

Do you recommend new motor mounts and poly dog bone for the K04 set up?

Teutonic Turbo

Passed Driver's Ed
Strain on the exhaust bracket has little, if anything to do with pipe diameter. As bostonaudi, mentioned as long as the aftermarket downpipe has proper mounting tabs and adequate flexjoint, you should not encounter any problems. Typically, an aftermarket downpipe is also lighter than the OEM equivalent, reducing the mass the the bracket should support.

I would heed the advice of others an look into either transmission mount or engine and transmission mounts.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
Typically, an aftermarket downpipe is also lighter than the OEM equivalent, reducing the mass the the bracket should support.

This is a great point. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to research motor mounts and consider.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I was forced to find a new mechanic... I think the new guy I went to must be an idiot! At least based on responses so far... Plus didn't get a good feel speaking with him. Boston did you change your exhaust bracket given the tear in the rubber? That's the extent of what I saw when the tech said the bracket was broken. I'm going to take a closer look now to see if its truly broken.

Do you recommend new motor mounts and poly dog bone for the K04 set up?

Yes, I went to dealer to get a new plastic mount (the thing with the twin rubber mounts). Mine was torn pretty bad. Most of the aftermarket exhausts use cheap welded metal rods for hangers rather than the nice factory setup that locates the mounts securely into the rubber mounts, which also can contribute to tearing the rubber mounts.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Exhaust/OE/Hanger/ES315757/

FastersBetter

Ready to race!

After visualizing this... It makes sense now. Going to replace the rubber mount with an oem one (already ordered and picking up today). Also going to change the dog bone (cheap and easy) and look into motor mounts (sounds more involved).

Thanks for the help!

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
After visualizing this... It makes sense now. Going to replace the rubber mount with an oem one (already ordered and picking up today). Also going to change the dog bone (cheap and easy) and look into motor mounts (sounds more involved).

Thanks for the help!

The poly insert for the dog bone mount alone will stop most engine movement. You shouldn't need to change other 2 motor mounts.

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Poly mounts are great, like boston said, that should be plenty for your setup, Motor mounts only really need changed in a few instances, high HP motors, and if you have spare cash around when your stock pieces goes out. They allow the motor to move less and improve the response of the car, if that's what your after, upgrade all the mounts, if you just want to help remedy your current situation, just pickup the insert or something like the BSH dogbone kit or like product.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
The poly insert for the dog bone mount alone will stop most engine movement. You shouldn't need to change other 2 motor mounts.
Music to my ears... Easy and cheap solution.. Thanks for the feedback and advice. Where would we be without the internet!!?