GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Double humiliation, VAG vs 350Z

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Sorry I'll make it long, understand if you're too bored to read I just couldn't skip the juice, would be like no salt in your food. :biggrin:

I wasn't even gonna write if it was just me against the Z, but I happened to be out and about with a friend in a Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI full bolt on stage 2 and it was one of the few chances we had to do a triple. My friend's Cupra is a pocket rocket and always stays with me up until I throw 4th, when top end helps me creep away exponentially as we pick up speed.

So we're cruising in a triple lane ring road, late at night maybe a couple cars but they were behind us. We're sitting at a light in the middle lane I had the Cupra behind me (obviously we cruise in the same lane when we're going somewhere), light goes green and like few seconds later a 350Z flies by hauling ass to the left. Without any delay, attack mode on and luckily next light was red. I was in the middle and had the Z to my left and my friend to the right.

I bet the Z driver fucked up the launch throwing away any advantage he had off the line, so by the time I hit 2nd I have him by half a car. Cupra was about half a car ahead of me (that specific Cupra usually gets me off the line just a little bit, but this time I tip my hat I was beaten fair and square at least up to 4th). 3rd gear I start reeling the Cupra in while the Z falls even further behind. About 100 mph I'm side by side with the Cupra, Z must now be a bus length behind, and we shut down about 120 with me ahead, Cupra about a couple cars behind and the Z being pretty much destroyed.

Z didn't have enough I guess, because next light we had a repeat. Except this time we did a roll (like that was gonna help). However the roll was more like between them because I was now sitting in the left, Cupra in the middle and I had the Z behind me. So we go gently off the line and once I'm in 2nd I hit it. Z hits it right after me and my friend who was waiting on the Z hits it after him. Long story short, I must've put the Z like 3 bus lengths by the time we shut down (about 140 mph), but I was very impressed by the Cupra that was also creeping away from the Z and exponentially too. I mean I was expecting at some point the Z would at least hold the Cupra, but no. Like a bus length between them probably more.

Z had an exhaust that's just about all we could tell, dunno if he had a tune or anything. When I shut down I went back to the middle lane in front of my friend who came up behind me and the Z driver did the typical fly by to the left. I think he got mad, didn't stay to talk and no thumbs up. We actually ran into him few lights ahead but no more racing, dude was now so quiet like his engine broke, he got off few seconds later and we parked at an empty parking lot for ice cream and talk about the runs. :biggrin:

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Us ko4's seem to be running into a few of them recently and helping deflate thier egos lol. I had to bitch slap that G37S the other day.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
I am more surprised the Ibiza Cupra was able to play with you and lose gracefully than the 350z getting raped. Good run.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks, yeah that Cupra is pretty tough I need triple digits to creep away and the more we pick up speed the harder I pull. Unless we do a 3rd gear pull so the Cupra stays with me for a much shorter time and I win easier. 3rd gear pulls is my best. But if it's a 2nd gear pull or from a dead stop, yeah we're pretty much even up until triple digits.

But apart from being fully bolted the Cupra also got suspension, full motor mounts and also got a DSG software update that helps eliminate 1st gear wheelspin by short-shifting into 2nd (DSG would never allow this before, instead it would redline 1st gear no matter what you did).

Unfortunately I got nothing of that, for now all I got is pretty good tires, but tires alone don't do much on the street and right after cruising. So I have to wait for my turn and my turn comes in 4th :biggrin:

But I bet the guy in the Z just laughed to himself right before the run thinking he would own us, cause that's how most of them think against our humble GTI's, let alone the small 1.4 TSI Cupra... But, displacement is not everything now is it? :smile:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Here the 350z´s are not that fast because of the elevation, 5000ft+ above sea level, it would be a decent run agains a Stock GTI (both stock cars), but once tuned, is GTI all day, no need to mention your little black K04-with-better-internals sleeper. ( jellous)

TSiUG

sleeper...
Had no idea the little 1.4 TSI could keep up with a k04'd MKV. Or even come close. Dont know too much about the engine minus that it is twincharged, and I wish we had it over here in the states!

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Had no idea the little 1.4 TSI could keep up with a k04'd MKV. Or even come close. Dont know too much about the engine minus that it is twincharged, and I wish we had it over here in the states!

This. Plus its in a tiny car.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Very CSB. What sorts of times do bolted & tuned 1.4Ts run, and what's their power potential? I'd love to build one in a Jetta Hybrid for the ultimate Eco-rocket.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks,

Yeah it keeps up with K04 GTI's but when you go above 100 mph you'll creep away, slowly at first but by the time you throw 5th you're already pulling hard. The reason it holds its own well up until then is that it launches very very well and if the driver manages to take a short lead, the car is able to hold on to it until you hit 100.

That Cupra has:

stage 2 revo 100 octane file (ron)
intake
full 2.75 milltek tbe
custom fmic larger than forge's
forge dv
forge wg
iridium spark plugs

The list goes on with handling/traction upgrades as well. Car weighs about 2500 lbs.

Coming October the car is running at its first official drag event, with the addition of w/m that will be installed soon.

A local did the quarter mile in 13.3 with 107 mph at the strip recently but he says he can improve his 60 ft and break into 13.2 which is an awesome time for such a small engine. And this is still on stock turbo that we're talking about.

There are also hybrid setups available already in the market and I've heard there are a coupe BT projects underway for more than 320 hp (built engine and built DSG required) that will put a hurting to a lot of K04 cars out there and probably be a tough nut to crack even for those 400 hp K04's, BT is just rumor for now but I don't find it hard to believe.

3 years ago if you told somebody that the little 1.4 TSI would actually put out anything above 235 hp they'd call you nuts and now such power comes without much effort in a basic stage 2. And now you got hybrid turbos and a ton of options.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't change my 2.0 K04 for a smaller engine (or a smaller turbo) but quite honestly, that 1.4 TSI is a miracle itself and I have nothing but respect for it.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Looking forward to a 370Z next time, that should make it a little more challenging. You'll have w/m and lighter wheels by then. But I can't wait for October to see you at the strip. :thumbsup:

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Btw you should update your sig, stage 1 was a long time ago :biggrin:

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
Good kill. A mate of mine also had a 350z and I came up against him in the R last year. I only had a stage 1 tune at that point and still put bus lengths on him from a dig. He had a ride in my R in March and almost poo'd his pants when I launched it:biggrin:

I have a video of me against a stage 1 1.4 TSI at a dragstrip somewhere........

Skip it 1'50":thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJNY7Fyu7E&feature=plcp