GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do all experienced manual drivers drive smoothly?

samguan

Ready to race!
I've had my GTI for just little under a year now and I find it's hard to drive as smoothly as an automatic.

Maybe I'm trying to drive to hard to drive smoothly thus making it even worst. Someday I have really good feel and I drive really smooth. Sometime I drive really bad. Feels like shooting basketball, you have momentum sometimes and sometimes you don't.

One thing I notice is there is a huge lag with the on board computer in processing the throttle input, it's not direct. With the same throttle input, the resulting RPM can be different from time to time.

A1an

Hellafunctional
Sounds like you are thinking about it too much. Eventually you get a feel for it and it becomes second nature.

freshslate

Constant
I've had my GTI for just little under a year now and I find it's hard to drive as smoothly as an automatic.

Maybe I'm trying to drive to hard to drive smoothly thus making it even worst. Someday I have really good feel and I drive really smooth. Sometime I drive really bad. Feels like shooting basketball, you have momentum sometimes and sometimes you don't.

One thing I notice is there is a huge lag with the on board computer in processing the throttle input, it's not direct. With the same throttle input, the resulting RPM can be different from time to time.

sounds like you just need more practice. eventually you'll be able to 'feel' where the throttle should be, whether it be from start or rolling. it took me a while but eventually i got it to be pretty smooth.

I don't see the point in this. I'd say learn to drive a manual but you've been driving it for a year haha

Sent from my iPhone

no need to be rude, everyone had to start somewheres and i'm sure you weren't smooth the first go around either.

Sounds like you are thinking about it too much. Eventually you get a feel for it and it becomes second nature.

this x amillion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've never driven a drive-by-throttle manual but even cable-throttle cars can be temperamental. I found that the heavier the clutch the harder it is to always grab the right spot when taking off. But I imagine the pedal is so light on a stock GTI it shouldn't be an issue.

1972vw

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'09 GTI
If you're used to driving a car with a throttle cable rather than a drive-by-wire system, it can take a bit of getting used to. But you'll get the hang of it, eventually it'll be second nature and driving an automatic will be what feels weird.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'll tell you what's weird - DSG's. Between its computer operated clutch and the turbo lag I'm surprised more people don't get into accidents when the engine fails to respond to the throttle.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I'll tell you what's weird - DSG's. Between its computer operated clutch and the turbo lag I'm surprised more people don't get into accidents when the engine fails to respond to the throttle.

This. We have 3 DSG equipped vehicles at my house (one is "S-tronic" but same deal) and they have all at least once caused miniature heart attacks to us all. You think there's a big enough gap to turn left, and you put your foot down and the car does absolutely nothing. Even in the 3.2 Audi which has no turbo, still the car literally goes nowhere. It's like VW/Audi purposely put this in their auto cars so you can always have a flawless, smooth acceleration from a stop. In this situation I've learned to just mash to 1/2 throttle until I feel the car move, at which point I'll let it go. As opposed to what I'd do in my old 5MT car; revving to 1.5-2k ish and engaging the clutch rather aggressively... neither of which are terribly good for your gearbox but you gotta do what you gotta do.

OP - If you're having trouble driving a VW smoothly then I'm not sure what to tell you. Try something with a light flywheel and a short shift kit and go back to your GTI, then you'll think of yourself as a much better driver lol

nickster9224

Rippin' Boost
Car(s)
2007 GTI
VW's are the EASIEST cars to learn manual on. The clutch is very very forgiving. Try driving a 6-puck then go back to your car. It'll feel like the clutch is a pillow.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
You know how you drive around with some grown adults and they drive like shit? It's the same thing - some people are just bad drivers. It is no indictment of character - they just suck at it.

I suspect that at the heart of the thing, being a good driver (in general AND w/ specific regard to manual transmissions) is really a good combination of situational awareness and attention to detail. Bad drivers are in a constant state of being surprised - they are often smashing the brakes, getting stuck behind idiots and are afraid to go around them, having to stab the accelerator to regain speed lost from some previous failure to act... Conversely, good drivers are 'plugged in' and constantly aware of changing traffic conditions - the experience is smooth, fluid, and predictable.

Manual transmissions will often compel an otherwise bad driver to stay tuned in - that is, it has the potential to make them better than they were, or exponentially worse. Avoiding the 'gear change lurch' is mostly a mastery of speed/gear/rpm (knowing the best moment to throw the gear for a soft transition) and, to a lesser degree, riding the clutch. It certainly isn't good for the clutch, but if you're especially concerned with creating smooth transitions between gears, more time spent on clutch engagement will drastically reduce the lurch caused between gear shifts.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI

^ this. this is fact. i've had a lot of close calls because the mech unit can't decide between 1st or 2nd, and it gets impatient with boost lag on top of it too.

its a thing. but i've thought i was the only person who felt this way.

vw needs a seat designed for brick-shitting. a lot of bricks have been shat in my seat because of the temperamental dsg.

You think there's a big enough gap to turn left, and you put your foot down and the car does absolutely nothing.

every damn time when i need it the most :lol:

Mrvdub444

I'VE GOT A LEMON!
Car(s)
Candy White MKV

HAHAHAH your so right its not even funny.

Ony

Ready to race!
i know what you mean OP. The dogbone mount and insert made the car easier to shift. it made the "let go of clutch" and "step on the gas" gap much smoother. Thats where most jerks tend to happen with bad/rookie drivers.

Car(s)
Subaru
i know what you mean OP. The dogbone mount and insert made the car easier to shift. it made the "let go of clutch" and "step on the gas" gap much smoother. Thats where most jerks tend to happen with bad/rookie drivers.

Good point. Maybe that's what it is. I have an insert and medal bushings. When I put the insert in, I grinded a gear once or twice and then a cpl times doing the metal bushings. Haven't grinded since then and never stall out or burn the clutch.

You get use to how the car acts. Where are you having trouble? changing into gears/which gear, driving in a city slowly, taking off fast, etc?

Sent from my iPhone