GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Virtual Cockpit Retrofit MK7 (aliexpress version)

jetplaness

Passed Driver's Ed
A MK7.5 GTI appears on the screen and zips off into the abyss, no obvious hints that it's an aftermarket unit. Also fwiw I believe this runs linux
Yeah I thought so, mine does that but before it shows like an android stock picture of outerspace and a stock photo of like a forest or beach or something and its driving me crazy lmao I got the seller to send me a different firmware that supposedly doesnt have that but i cant get it to update to work no matter what i do smh

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
One pleasant surprise regarding the AliExpress cluster: got a not-so-pleasant message this morning, BUT, it actually mentioned which tire was low on pressure which never happened with the analog dash.

1000044787.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Wow, mine never did that, it only said that tire pressure was low but not which tire. So many inconsistencies between years and models. I thought that I found something new and exciting :p
Well now, a tire with low pressure IS new and exciting :LOL:.

FixIt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Well now, a tire with low pressure IS new and exciting :LOL:.
Hahaha yessss, excited about my car telling me which tire has low pressure sounds weird indeed. I thought a slow leak but after inflating it and tightening the pressure sensor, it kept proper pressure. Ok, move along, nothing to see here...

jetplaness

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having one issue with my car (2019 gti) after I installed this dash and my center carplay screen doesnt get very bright now and the brightness control on the left by the headlight switch doesnt work anymore. If i turn off my headlights and turn them on, the screen will go to max brightness then after 10-20 seconds it auto adjusts and gets dimmer, has anyone come across this same problem?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm having one issue with my car (2019 gti) after I installed this dash and my center carplay screen doesnt get very bright now and the brightness control on the left by the headlight switch doesnt work anymore. If i turn off my headlights and turn them on, the screen will go to max brightness then after 10-20 seconds it auto adjusts and gets dimmer, has anyone come across this same problem?
Known issue. There are light sensors in the analog dash (also in the OEM digital dash) that are no longer present.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I thought so, mine does that but before it shows like an android stock picture of outerspace and a stock photo of like a forest or beach or something and its driving me crazy lmao I got the seller to send me a different firmware that supposedly doesnt have that but i cant get it to update to work no matter what i do smh
I just installed mine and I have the same screens pop up as you do. Has anyone been able to update these units, how is that process done anyway?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
hmm.......... I have never used one of these "Chinese" displays- but I did some experimentation many years ago on altering the factory illumination levels on analogue dashboard modules.

If anyone here is willing to "try stuff" - maybe some of my early findings might work on these retrofit displays?

First and as indicated in a previous reply - the original clock-dial panel contains a photo-transistor that was embedded between the numerals "7" and "8" on the tacho (see below). I assume from @Cuzoe that the Chinese AID displays do NOT have an equivalent device.

OK, I'm not sure if others are aware, but MQB platform cars use a bunch of adaptation channels called dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment to modulate illumination levels according to a variable component

These channels can be found in lots of modules and they generally consist of both "X" and "Y" series. On the module that lives @address hex17 ("Dashboard" for OBD11, or "Instruments" for VCDS) the channels specifically relate to the following display elements:
  1. clock dial day
  2. clock dial night
  3. gauge
  4. indicator lights
  5. middle display main field
  6. Phototransistor
In the case of the hex17 module, the variable component is the lighting level in the cabin generally, and the amount of sun-light that hits the body of the phototransistor specifically

Now, I don't know which of the facets above are used by the "Chinese" display, but my initial guess is that maybe the two likely option to investigate is 1. above -and notwithstanding that the phototransistor is not used, perhaps 6. above? For emphasis again, I'm guessing!

So, purely as a suggestion - maybe someone who has installed these Chinese displays could try altering the factory settings on their car and report back their observations.

As a guide to experimentation, see my tweak instructions HERE AND HERE. However, please be aware that my suggestions in the links are intended for an analogue display!

Don

PS: As a suggestion and given that the phototransistor no longer modulates the illumination level on the Chinese dispay - maybe try applying extreme values to ALL the set-points in the channels. Illumination incease happens on these channels when X values are decreased and when Y values are increased. So, for max illumination, maybe start by changing ALL X values to 00 in my first link and ALL Y values to 64 in my second link (64 means hex64 - which is decimal 100).

Of course- take note of the original factory settings before starting and revert back if needed

Last edited:

jetplaness

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed mine and I have the same screens pop up as you do. Has anyone been able to update these units, how is that process done anyway?
Yeah i spoke with the buyer for over a week until I got a software update that has the VW logo instead of those stock photos. The only issue is is that the software is an older one so it's missing some of the different skins for the the speedometer, which i didnt care about as i just kept the stock one on, but if you want the software I can send it to you, just lmk

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Yeah i spoke with the buyer for over a week until I got a software update that has the VW logo instead of those stock photos. The only issue is is that the software is an older one so it's missing some of the different skins for the the speedometer, which i didnt care about as i just kept the stock one on, but if you want the software I can send it to you, just lmk
Interesting, when you says skins do you mean like the speed and rpm displays? Also are the shift lights the same on your older software. Or does anyone know how to change the shift lights?