GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY suspension stuff?

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Because of my location it's gonna cost $500 to even just get springs installed, and springs themselves only cost around 300 ........... :mad:

So I've been thinking about DIY, I know that it requires a lot more work for the MKV front suspension to install springs/shocks, but do you guys think I can probably do it myself? I mean it'll be probably be fun for someone like me, I've been building my own computers since I was 9 and am quite comfortable doing stuff with my own two hands. How hard is it to work on the MKV suspensions?

What are the necessary tools required to DYI suspensions? If it's below $500 the it's a good investment compared to spending that money getting it done by a shop.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I had the H & R touring cup kit installed today, and it took about 4 hrs plus another hour for allignment/adjustement, that's at a professional shop with air tools. I wouldn't recommend a DIY unless your proficient with working on suspensions, and familliar with the necessary steps it takes to disassemble and re-assemble steering components. $500.00 bucks is a little steep unless it includes allignment, then it's fine.

PS: "your location" your not in Alaska bro, your in Cali, shouldn't be anything to find a shop to hook it up. PS: you bought your car at Boardwalk right???? go there and ask for John, tell him Danny sent you. He might take it up as a weekend project, or some other techs there have a lift at home and do weekend work for cheap. Good Luck!

PICS OF CUPKIT COMING SOON!

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Cool, thanks for the tip man. But still, the thought of working on the car myself is pretty intriguing.

PS you are in Atlanta and got connection here in NorCal? :eyebulge:

I'm gonna read up on the coilover DIY and decide whether I want to do it myself.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
KharatosGTI said:
Cool, thanks for the tip man. But still, the thought of working on the car myself is pretty intriguing.

PS you are in Atlanta and got connection here in NorCal? :eyebulge:

I'm gonna read up on the coilover DIY and decide whether I want to do it myself.

I just moved out here, I'm from FRisco/San Mateo area. It might seem intriguing, but it's really a pain in the ass unless you truly enjoy doing that kind of work. I used to work on my Datsun 510 with that guy John from Boardwalk (we grew up together) that was fun because the car was cheap, the parts were cheap and light, and if we didn't finish that day then no big deal because it was a weekend warrior type of car, not to mention all the bolts came off using hand-held tools. Without a lift the job get's 2 times tougher, then without air tools another 2 times. Good Luck Bro! :headbang:

PS: how would you get the stock springs off without a tensioner???

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
I just moved out here, I'm from FRisco/San Mateo area. It might seem intriguing, but it's really a pain in the ass unless you truly enjoy doing that kind of work. I used to work on my Datsun 510 with that guy John from Boardwalk (we grew up together) that was fun because the car was cheap, the parts were cheap and light, and if we didn't finish that day then no big deal because it was a weekend warrior type of car, not to mention all the bolts came off using hand-held tools. Without a lift the job get's 2 times tougher, then without air tools another 2 times. Good Luck Bro! :headbang:

Yeah don't worry, I'm not taking this lightly by any means, I know it's not an easy project. But then again when I had my Accord I never knew how to retrofit projector HIDs and all the lighting stuff either. Eh I don't know.

Tools requirements might be the biggest problem here so I might just go look up John, but then again I might go nuts and try it myself.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
i wouldnt say there's a lot of special tools. the only really specialized tools are the strut spreader tool and 14mm triple square socket, which can be purchased for ~$30. you can rent a spring compressor from autozone for free. that's really about it. what else have you read?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
andrewt said:
i wouldnt say there's a lot of special tools. the only really specialized tools are the strut spreader tool and 14mm triple square socket, which can be purchased for ~$30. you can rent a spring compressor from autozone for free. that's really about it. what else have you read?

autozone rents free tools???? what's the catch?