GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: OEM Ipod dock to AUX-in swap

co78

Ready to race!
so I just got this done, changed the setting in vag-com so it will be aux-ext-in instead of external cd changer, when I plug my mp3 player in with an aux cable the volume is really, really low. anyone else have this problem? (volume is maxed on my mp3 player)

co78

Ready to race!
yes premium 7 unit with the silver buttons

Edit: well apparently low volume and static means a poor ground connection, though I soldered the two ground wires from the aux socket connection to the 1 ground on the ipod harness.

Last edited:

siliconcenturion

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure that you put the plugs into the right pins on the ipod connector? If the ground wire went to the wrong plug, that might cause it.
If not, then I'm not sure what it could be :(

co78

Ready to race!
disconnected the wiring adapter when I got home, instantly found the problem. 2 of the 3 pins in the ipod connector were not secured so they were a bit loose and was not making connection.

co78

Ready to race!
fixed it, had to use pliers to push the wires all the way in the connector until you can hear it snap in.

Tested it with my mp3 player, sounds really good, also works with my phone while playing videos.

Blimey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
1992 GTI 16V
Finally got some nice weather and was able to do this install on my RCD510. Worked like a charm.Thanks again for taking the time to share this with the forum.

white4dr

The Stig
Epic bump

Does anyone know if this would work by just enabling the simple aux in vag com and extending the dock cable instead of using an aux cable?

I'd like to retain my charging capabilities and improved sound quality of the dock cable, but would like to control music on the ipod.

edusson

Adapter from ipod dock to aux

Thanks a lot for the posting! Between you, JetTurbo and few others helping a lot!

But still got two silly questions :frown: :
- If I get it right, all what you are doing is intercept the wire from the ipod adapter unit to the ipod dock under your arm rest, right? So, why can then just use something like this, i.e., plug directly on the ipod dock:
http://indashpc.org/new/accessories/cable-c-ipd2jk.html

Not pumping that product or anything (somebody was warning about somebody pumping that in some forums...). In fact I already found the pieces to build this cheaper... So, I don't know if it works, but just wonder that there should be something like that out there, right? Something that simply plugs in the dock, connects to the two audio signals (and gnd) and brings them to an aux jack. In that case, you wouldn't have to even unplug a single wire and one can switch between bberry and ipod or whatever easily... // White4dr, did you mean this too?

- The 2nd question is on the premium 7 (I guess that is what you call US 2007 GTI, sat radio, internal 6 CD changer with silver buttons... Can't see in my manual). Do I need the firmware upgrade? I thought in some places it said that you don't but when I press twice my CD button, nothing happens, no change in display or anything (with nothing plugged on the ipod dock). I would think that if firmware ok, having audio or no audio, it should switch to AUX.

Thanks!!

ChouDawg

Null
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX
@Edusson: I dont think plugging in a dock extender will work, I think I tried it before. The iPod wiring under the armrest plugs into the module which actually has a circuit board with some components on it. I dont think its as simple as just wire to wire, I think it needs to get the right signal from the radio to know it should be on, controlling iPod etc. If you can find something that adapts the iPod dock cable to a 3 pin (R/L/G) that would work I believe.