GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Destroyed my GTI door.

Dude123

Oval Champion
I was backing out of the garage in a hurry to move the car and forgot to close the drivers side door on my GTI. I accidentally hit it of the side of the garage and now the door is ruined and cannot close. All the damage is at the door and no other panels. What should I do? Insurance company? How much approximetly would it cost to replace the door at a body shop?

Thank You so much.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
I doubt people could give an estimate with out pics... But take it to the a body show and get a quote so you can see if its worth getting your ins involved...

sorry dude that really sucks.. good luck

Dude123

Oval Champion
Well, I am sure I need the whole door replaced, but that would basically be it because no other body panels were affected. The GTI door is most likely quite some $$ so I should probably contact my insurance.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Call you insurance company. Both homeowners and auto as they may offer different coverage.

Probably gonna need a new door, paint, and maybe some work on the mounting hinges.

Sorry. good luck:thumbsup:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Sucks dont it? I am waiting to take my car in for a busted out head light. Oh well, things will happen. Good luck with everything.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
It's definetly gonna be more than an average insurance deductible. New cars are super pricey to fix.

agree! Probably north of $1300. One of the few times in life when insurance will actually work! Shouldn't hurt your rates either as no citations involved. A buddy of mine took his $4k road bicycle off his roof rack one day with the garage door. Ended up with a brand new bike to replace the 3 year old one, and a new paintjob on his car, and a new roof rack all for $500 out of pocket (his deductible)

Let us know how things progress!

Dude123

Oval Champion
I have decided not to contact my insurance company quite yet because a local auto body shop person will drop by my home and see the damage and tell me what it would cost. I'll let you guys know tommorow after I get that info.

Thanks

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
If the damage is restricted to the door skin only, with minor damage to door sill, expect a repair of about $1500. for the whole door, it will be closer to $2000+. Had my door skin replaced two months ago, and that is what it ran.

Dude123

Oval Champion
The guy who was supposed to show up today did not for some reason. Also, he said about $500 over the phone since the GTI door frame is $159 buks and the skin is $252, and the labor cost is 50 or 60/hr depending which shop I goto. Plus the paint and it should be around $500.

Hopefully the guy shows up soon or tommorow at least.

Dude123

Oval Champion
Finally, after all this time I made a deal with a local auto body shop to get my door replaced and a new one put on and painted. I came out to be a little over $1300 because they said it is impossible to get the exact shade of paint for my car and they would paint the whole side to make sure its not detectable after replacing the door. Is that normal?

Thanks