GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealers and VINs

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just been told that my car will arrive in Brisbane on the 20th of August. Based upon the shipping schedules, the Don Juan arrives on he 18th. So the 20th being a Monday is about right.

I have asked my dealer to let me know the VIN number. After reading some of the stories about cars in lots and cancelled orders, I wanted to make sure that everything is above board and the car is actually on a ship heading this way.

I don't have an issue with a car that has been here a while as long as it is the spec I ordered, but I would like to know if that is the case.

How did you get the VIN out of the dealer? I have been asking but am getting no responses. Is this something they should provide? Are they obligated to?

Thanks,
Jason.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I don't think a dealer is obligated to offer you a VIN, but it'd be kind of nice if they did you the favour.

The other approach you might be able to take is to speak directly to VW Aus. Not sure who you would ask for, but I'm pretty sure there are some on here that have done this, so hopefully they will offer their 2 bob's worth.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Liam

sausage

Ready to race!
call 02 9273 2725 vw customer support!
I've been dealing with them a lot.. they are a lot more helpful then my dealer... Austral VW...
see my other thread "Vehicle delivery" for more information.

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
How did you get the VIN out of the dealer? I have been asking but am getting no responses. Is this something they should provide? Are they obligated to?

Thanks,
Jason.

This has all been covered before. It's all based off the commission number and speaking to Allocations department within VW Australia.

Suggest you do a search on the following key words:
- "commission number";
- "allocations"

:thumbsup:

nww1969

call 02 9273 2725 vw customer support!
I've been dealing with them a lot.. they are a lot more helpful then my dealer... Austral VW...
see my other thread "Vehicle delivery" for more information.

Just rang the number in your post, which I was not aware of, and got all
the info I was looking for.
Very helpful. Unlike my dealer who seems to know nothing.

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys.

I rang the number and lucked out. The operator told me to get the information from the dealer.

I'll try again later for a different operator.

Jason.

sausage

Ready to race!
hmm... VW aus should be your last resort...
if your dealer are not giving you the information they should be then let them know that you'll be following this information with VW Aus and also making a remark about the poor service you've received... The key should be to get the dealer to do the work not VW aus...
VW aus should only be used if all channels with the dealer break down

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
You make one "unsuccessful" phone call to VWA and bamm..... dealer sends me an email today with my VIN number.

Coincidence??

You be the judge.

It's an MY07 and it isn't listed in the Auto Tracking system for the shipping company. That's a good start.

The issues that some of you have been through with dealers was making me wonder if was common across VW. Then again, I guess you only every hear about the bad things.

Jason.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
You make one "unsuccessful" phone call to VWA and bamm..... dealer sends me an email today with my VIN number.

Coincidence??

You be the judge.

It's an MY07 and it isn't listed in the Auto Tracking system for the shipping company. That's a good start.

The issues that some of you have been through with dealers was making me wonder if was common across VW. Then again, I guess you only every hear about the bad things.

Jason.

How many characters in the VIN they gave you?

It should look like this, 17 characters, where the Xs are replaced by your unique numbers...

WVWZZZ1KZ7Wxxxxxx

(The last W = Wolfsburg for 3drs, if you're getting a 5dr it will be U = Uitenhage, South Africa)

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
How many characters in the VIN they gave you?

It should look like this, 17 characters, where the Xs are replaced by your unique numbers...

WVWZZZ1KZ7Wxxxxxx

(The last W = Wolfsburg for 3drs, if you're getting a 5dr it will be U = Uitenhage, South Africa)

Right amount of numbers....check!
5dr >> "U" ....check!

From that I would say it is correct.

I read in one of the tracking threads that i can be a little while before the VIN shows up on the tracking website, so I am not overly concerned. The ship only left Germany a couple of days ago, so it hasn't even reached South Africa yet.

The dates that the dealer gave me for landing in Brisbane coincide with the "Don Juan" (why do I think of Orgazmo!?!) pulling into port on the 18th of August.

I'll just keep checking every couple of days.

Man those boats are slow! Obviously not 2.0TFSI powered!:tongue:

Jason.