GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler and Ractive oval tip

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally had my exhaust taken care of. Back in 3/9/06 I wrote a thread ( http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2491297 ) about doing a custom rear muffler replacement though I didn't get my 5-door until 9/2/06 :laugh: . Thanks to several members, I have discovered that the OEM resonator is a straight-flow unit. The concept was to copy the Neuspeed/Milltek design to replace the rear OEM suitcase muffler. I retained the stock resonator and replaced everything from the resonator back. The OEM rear suitcase muffler has been replaced by a Magnaflow unit with mandrel bends and a Ractive exhaust tip. My project had three goals: 1) Increase flow by replacing the restrictive rear OEM suitcase muffler, 2) Keep sound levels down by not attracting audible attention, and, 3) Keep cost down to a reasonable level.

A quick post to the local NV/UT Forum on the Vortex lead me to SRS Custom Exhaust (thanks anti bling). SRS Custom is run by the Gilbert family and has been in Vegas for over 30 years. They can build anything you desire; as long as it is legal. Their workmanship is top notch as you can see in the pics of the weld and final product. Dave and his brother Gary expertly laid out the system and made those beautiful welds. :thumbup:

The only thing that differs from my system and the "name brand" ones is that my system does not have the nicely polished stainless steel bling. Rust is not a concern here in Vegas. :cool:

Performance wise, I am very happy. Sorry no dynos so I have to rely on my butt :laugh: Prior to the rear muffler replacement, I can feel the restriction of flow in the upper RPMs. Now it is smooth and feels like it breaths much better. Just seems to rev quicker in the higher RPMs. Sound wise, overall pretty pleased since I do not want to attract audible attention. Sound level at idle is stock quiet. When I stomp the throttle the tone is deeper and only slightly louder. The "farts" are definitely louder. Sorry, no sound clips. Just imagine it only slightly deeper and louder than stock. I can always remove the OEM resonator and add a pipe or smaller resonator for a little more noise.

Cost and Parts list:

$ 13.01 Ractive retangular/oval tip (2.75"h x 6" w) from Ebay shipped. BIG :eek:
$ 75.00 Magnaflow polished Stainless Steel muffler from Ebay shipped
$130.00 Mandrel bends and installation labor locally.
---------
$218.01 Total

Notes:

I used a small case muffler (14" wide) and thus have a lot of piping compared to the Neuspeed. The reason for the piping is the need to retain the use of the OEM rear muffler hangers. In hindsight, I should have gone with an 18" wide case muffler.

SRS Business card

SRS Store-Look at all of those different sized mandrel bends :p

The Parts

Mockup

The beautiful welds by Dave and Gary Gilbert

The Tip (still in mockup and is now perfectly aligned)

The finished product :laugh: :beer:

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
No sound clips since the volume is same as stock. The tone is only slightly deeper at throttle when driving. Only difference is the "feel" since this muffler is straight-flow vs the OEM baffled muffler.

The stock resonator is what keeps the volume down.

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
looks good dude.. but the way thoese are beautiful/perfect welds.. thoese welders knew what they were doing... props to them!

GTI44

Brick Shithouse!!
Car(s)
MkV GTI
First off nice choice of tip. I have magnaflow on my truck (04 Ram Diesel), sure a diesel and a gas will never sound the same but the magnaflow will hold up for a long time, good quality!

And if you want some sound, delete the resonator. It will give a really deep exhaust note throught the magnaflow (friend of mine has one on his SE-R, 2.0 4 cylinder). His sounds good.

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had the stock resonator removed and it pretty much sounds just like the Autotech 3" version: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8826 . Though the stock resonator is a straight-flow unit, there is a chamber in the middle of it which absorbs a LOT of noise. Though some people may prefer this sound, I want something in between the "Autotech" sound and my Magnaflow with OEM resonator. I just purchased a short polished stainless steel 9" resonator (not glasspack) which I will have welded up later this week.

Maseroche

Ready to race!
Nice project and kudos for going your own way with a custom exhaust.

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed the 9" polished stainless steel resonator in place of stock resonator. Perfect sound to my ears. Nice low mellow tone. I would now describe the sound level/quality between stock and the Autotech 3".