GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Come drive mine and see if same issue.
It's gotta be the wheel/tire set. The tech re-balanced my stock wheels/tires and the ride is good. So clearly there's a threshold that needs to be met. It's just annoying that my brand new set from TR isn't balanced to that threshold. Tired (ha) of going to tire shops to maybe end up with a vibration-free ride but probably not.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Drove a couple techs around. Master tech said the whistling sound is just a turbo making turbo sounds and that some turbos are louder than others. Ehhh OK. Documenting that in case my turbo blows up lmao.

As for the vibration, the tech suggested starting with a super precise balance. So he remounted a couple of the tires and took his time with it. Got all corners below 10 lbs and the ride seems to be good now on stock wheels and tires. The dealer treating it as a warranty issue probably helped.

The whole situation doesn’t make a lot of sense in my head yet and I’m still sus of the fix, because 3 different sets were/are vibrating after multiple balances at multiple shops. But it would seem the normal spec (18 lbs) used by every shop I asked doesn’t cut it. My simple theory is the stiffer and lighter mk8 suspension will transmit vibrations more easily, so a better balance is needed. Relatively easy fix if true.

So here I am with my brand new set from Tire Rack that I'd like to put on, supposedly road force balanced, yet it vibrates pretty severely on the highway. So tired of dealing with this shit. This shouldn't be so difficult.

There's no way to really say it without sounding like an asshole, but have you considered maybe it's just you? Something about the old saying "If it smells like shit everywhere you go, look under your own shoe" 🤣

What I mean is, is it possibly just a case of being overly picky/sensitive or having unrealistic expectations? When you try to show other people, is their general consensus "I don't notice anything"?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
There's no way to really say it without sounding like an asshole, but have you considered maybe it's just you? Something about the old saying "If it smells like shit everywhere you go, look under your own shoe" 🤣

What I mean is, is it possibly just a case of being overly picky/sensitive or having unrealistic expectations? When you try to show other people, is their general consensus "I don't notice anything"?
You didn't read my post? The tech fixed the vibration on the stock set by targeting much lower road force. I mean if you're gonna try to be a dick at least read what you're replying to.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
The conspiracy theorists have already started.

I'd be willing to bet the other thread is talking about controlled explosions.

Yeah, I've seen some of the dumb shit out there. I think the FBI/NTSB/Whoever investigative angle of "could it have been bad fuel" is pretty interesting from a science perspective, but I'm in no way a tinfoiler. Just putting some number context out there for fun.

Remember kids, jet fuel can't melt steel beams, but material strength is a function of temperature

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You didn't read my post? The tech fixed the vibration on the stock set by targeting much lower road force.

Not the final one saying one saying "The tech re-balanced my stock wheels/tires and the ride is good." Just the one I quoted where it said it seemed to be good, which kind of gave the aire that it might potentially not be solved.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not the final one saying one saying "The tech re-balanced my stock wheels/tires and the ride is good." Just the one I quoted where it said it seemed to be good, which kind of gave the aire that it might potentially not be solved.
I'm just getting really punchy on this subject because I'm sick of shops doing a half ass job and then telling me dumb shit like "German cars just don't ride smooth" or "It's because it's a sports car. Have you ever owned one before?" Soooo fucking sick of people who can't do what they're paid to do acting like it's a me problem. Clearly it's possible to be fixed, but people just don't have the training or care to get there. Surely Tire Rack, whose entire business model is just selling tires and wheels can balance their shit right? Nope. I'm just tired of it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Personally, I think there's something else and doing a better road force balance is covering that up a bit whatever it is. Tons of mk8s out there getting a good old fashioned mount and balance without road force that aren't having this problem. It's definitely not "mk8s have tighter suspension"

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm just getting really punchy on this subject because I'm sick of shops doing a half ass job and then telling me dumb shit like "German cars just don't ride smooth" or "It's because it's a sports car. Have you ever owned one before?" Soooo fucking sick of people who can't do what they're paid to do acting like it's a me problem. Clearly it's possible to be fixed, but people just don't have the training or care to get there. Surely Tire Rack, whose entire business model is just selling tires and wheels can balance their shit right? Nope. I'm just tired of it.
Have you considered a flying car?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It's gotta be the wheel/tire set. The tech re-balanced my stock wheels/tires and the ride is good. So clearly there's a threshold that needs to be met. It's just annoying that my brand new set from TR isn't balanced to that threshold. Tired (ha) of going to tire shops to maybe end up with a vibration-free ride but probably not.
Do the TR wheels use a hub ring? I saw someone in a RS3 group saying he had a bad vibration and just switching from plastic to aluminum hub rings fixed it.

I've also seen someone that needed their steering rack replaced as that was causing the vibrations, though this was also in an RS3 forum.

There was another RS3 guy I saw make a post about his vibration in the last week or so. His vibration was so bad that you could clearly see his seat vibrating around 70mph and it got worse as he sped up. He still doesn't seem to have a solution. He's replaced tires and wheels and he's still having the same issue. There was some speculating about it being rotors. Can rotors be unbalanced?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Personally, I think there's something else and doing a better road force balance is covering that up a bit whatever it is. Tons of mk8s out there getting a good old fashioned mount and balance without road force that aren't having this problem. It's definitely not "mk8s have tighter suspension"
What else are you thinking?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
What else are you thinking?
The wheels themselves may have a bend somewhere and not be true. Or the tires. You never know what happened before they sold it to you, dealership could have had vandalism or something and the car sat with flats and they just put air in them and sent it with hidden damage to the sidewalls.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Go to New Haven, pretty hard to find bad apizza unless you go Domino's or Pizza Hut place. Any family owned place will have great apizza.
this.