GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch pedal sticking, slave cylinder?

sloMk5

2007 GTI
Two days ago my clutch pedal started sticking, it did it a couple times with in a few minutes, and then a few other times later on. It also seems to have a low engagement point and even more squishy pedal feel than normal sometimes, but other times it seems pretty normal.

I took it into the dealer today to get it checked and for an airbag fault, and they said there's nothing wrong with it because it didn't happen on the test drive, and without that they wont even look for a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did it get resolved? Is this going to destroy my clutch if I keep driving on it? Thanks.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Two days ago my clutch pedal started sticking, it did it a couple times with in a few minutes, and then a few other times later on. It also seems to have a low engagement point and even more squishy pedal feel than normal sometimes, but other times it seems pretty normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did it get resolved? Is this going to destroy my clutch if I keep driving on it? Thanks.
IMO it sounds like the slave is on its way out I would try to bleed it first just in case it picked up and air bubble . The slave can be bled easy yourself .
My slave just took a dump and ill be replacing tommorow hopefully, it failed another way by over-extending I think and the T.O bearing is makinf noise ( ill inspect what caused the failure ) hopefully the clutch is still OK and it didnt get damaged .Bob.G

bme30

Ready to race!
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! me too. I just dropped mine off at the dealer today for the same thing! But wouldn't you know I could NOT make it happen!

N10S

Ready to race!
The sticking clutch pedal has been an issue that has plagued Golf's for years and actually transcends model variants. The first time I encountered it was back in 98 with a brand new Mk III VR6 GTI . After repeated clutch bleeding by the dealership, I finally resigned myself to just reaching down and re-setting the pedal when needed. Then one day it just quit happpening .

Fast forward to 2003 and I had another brand new Mk IV VR6GTI . It was winter when I picked it up and damned if I didn't have the clutch stuck to the floor within no more than 3 miles from leaving the dealership. Same process of having the clutch bled and still having trouble and once again resorting to just manually re-setting for a while until the issue seemed to miraculously clear up.

Now I am hearing this same complaint coming from Mk V owners. I can only guess that the clutch design and hydraulic system must be a carry-over of a poorly engineered component that obviously has escaped resolution for a decade.

If you do some searches over in the Vortex you will find references to this issue in the archives. I personally felt the problem had more to do with mechanical issues stemming from a weak return spring, to much stiction in the pedal arm and pivot, and not enough hydraulic force to return the pedal properly considering those other factors.Bottom line is that bleeding it repeatedly never fixed it and only after using it and resetting it enough times did it seem to free-up and quit sticking.

Last edited:

sloMk5

2007 GTI
suscribed, as I have the very same problem

A friend of mine says that it may possibly be pedal mechanism that is dirthy and stucking: I'll take a look and clean eevrything this weekend

Well good luck, if you take it to the dealer let me know how it goes.

IMO it sounds like the slave is on its way out I would try to bleed it first just in case it picked up and air bubble . The slave can be bled easy yourself .
My slave just took a dump and ill be replacing tommorow hopefully, it failed another way by over-extending I think and the T.O bearing is makinf noise ( ill inspect what caused the failure ) hopefully the clutch is still OK and it didnt get damaged .Bob.G

Can you link me or tell me how to bleed it?

When it fails, will it leak on the clutch and eat it up? Do you think I'm doing damage right now driving it?

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! me too. I just dropped mine off at the dealer today for the same thing! But wouldn't you know I could NOT make it happen!

Ha yeah, they're good at never being able to replicate things. They basically acted like if my car was driveable they wouldn't even look at it.

The sticking clutch pedal has been an issue that has plagued Golf's for years and actually transcends model variants. The first time I encountered it was back in 98 with a brand new Mk III VR6 GTI . After repeated clutch bleeding by the dealership, I finally resigned myself to just reaching down and re-setting the pedal when needed. Then one day it just quit happpening .

Fast forward to 2003 and I had another brand new Mk IV VR6GTI . It was winter when I picked it up and damned if I didn't have the clutch stuck to the floor within no more than 3 miles from leaving the dealership. Same process of having the clutch bled and still having trouble and once again resorting to just manually re-setting for a while until the issue seemed to miraculously clear up.

Now I am hearing this same complaint coming from Mk V owners. I can only guess that the clutch design and hydraulic system must be a carry-over of a poorly engineered component that obviously has escaped resolution for a decade.

If you do some searches over in the Vortex you will find references to this issue in the archives. I personally felt the problem had more to do with mechanical issues stemming from a weak return spring, to much stiction in the pedal arm and pivot, and not enough hydraulic force to return the pedal properly considering those other factors.Bottom line is that bleeding it repeatedly never fixed it and only after using it and resetting it enough times did it seem to free-up and quit sticking.

I looked here and over there and I did find some threads about it, mostly from 06. They were helpful, but I was still wondering how people got it resolved, at the dealer or on their own.

Can you tell me or show me where to look about bleeding it?

I rememer reading in another thread somewhere that the engadgement point constantly changes depending on the circumstances....could be wrong thou.

Yeah it does depending on how you drive, but that's not what I'm talking about, when I said lower than normal, I meant lower than the low setting you get when banging through gears. And even though the clutch is normally light/soft, it feels even squishier when its acting up. It's hard to describe.

Thanks everybody

N10S

Ready to race!
I never personally bled the clutch when it was acting-up and since the cars were both new I let the dealerships bleed them. I have an excellent relationship with both dealeships though and one of the service managers indicated that they had a lot of the clutches not wanting to reset and that they felt it was not the slave or the hydraulics needing to be bled.

The clutch arm is re-set to its original height via a spring mechanism if I am recalling it correctly. The arm was not resetting to its original height and because of that the hydraulic system was not pushing the full amount of fluid against the clutch slave/actuator.

The big tip-off for me that the issue was probably not the hydraulic system was that after pulling the clutch pedal back up manually it would work fine again for a while, and there was no indication of a "soft" pedal until maybe a week or so later then I would pull it up again and it would be fine.

Any previous issues I have had with other cars involving a soft pedal due to a system that truly needed bled always resulted in a soft clutch pedal or poor actuation regardless until the sytem was bled, then afterwords it was resolved. Again, I never saw any resolution of my issues as the result of the clutch hydraulic system being bled, but after "re-setting" the clutch pedal it would always work fine for a while.

I never got resolution through getting the clutch hydraulics bled, and after re- setting the clutch numerous times for several weeks the issues finally subsided. After awhile I never had any issues again. That was pretty much the same process with both my MkIII and MkIV's.

My problems may be different than those being experienced by MkV owners, but it sure sounds the same.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
where is the slave cylinder on our cars?!

In the worst place possible LOL , inside the bell housing so the tranny has to come out to change it :frown: its a throwout bearing and slave cylinder in one unit . The vw 5 speed trans have the slave mounted on the outside because it has a mechanical clutch fork with normal T.O bearing setup .Bob.G

sloMk5

2007 GTI
^so that's why they wouldn't even look at it.

Has anyone had this fixed under warranty?