GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clear coat Peeling from Roof

bsspencer42

The problem with a repaint is that the roof is welded to the two side panels, which would mean that the side panels would also need to be repainted as well, right? In the last few days the clear coat peeling has begun to spread really bad and it is killing me to watch my precious paint job deteriorate.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
No they don't have to repaint the side panels. Just the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
This ^. I've been around a lot of repainted vehicles that I've had to do finishing work on because the body shop didn't polish the clear properly. But competent shops should be able to do the roof and blend the clear into the rails.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
This ^. I've been around a lot of repainted vehicles that I've had to do finishing work on because the body shop didn't polish the clear properly. But competent shops should be able to do the roof and blend the clear into the rails.

Exactly, they'll just run a tape edge in the roof seam where the roof meets the side panels and blend the clear. Especially on a non-metallic paint.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I would fix the hood and wrap the roof in black.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
I would fix the hood and wrap the roof in black.

We already covered that issue. Wrapping won't stop the clear from peeling underneath. The problem will continue to get worse, and you would be able to see the peeling from under the vinyl.

bsspencer42

I can think of absolutely no reason why the roof of this vehicle would have been painted in the past, seems to make absolutely no sense to me how it could have been damaged. I suppose major hail damage, but seems unlikely. The rear bumper was repainted (and very poorly) however, my neighbor just left his car in neutral and it rolled down the hill and busted it up. So, my car will be going to the paint shop to get a new bumper and a paint job. I'm going to have them repaint the roof since it will already be in the shop. I'll post pictures in a week or so when I get the car back from the shop.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Ouch, sorry to hear man. Just seems like a spot of bad luck. Hope it all works out for you!

bsspencer42

So, it was a pain to find a decent body shop in my area but I finally settled on one. I'm picking it up on Wednesday or Thursday hopefully. But I got quoted 550 for a full repaint on the roof at a reputable shop, which is actually similar to the price that I got quoted for a vinyl job on the roof.

bsspencer42

So, 2 weeks after getting my rear bumper and roof repainted, the corners of my rear bumper in the fender area are already chipping on both sides. Why would they already be chipping? Underneath the chipping, I can still see orange paint... so does this mean that there was no primer applied prior to the repaint? What should I do now?

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Go back to where you had it repainted is the obvious answer...

bsspencer42

Yeah, but what should I expect? If the paint is already chipping... I would assume that the entire project was compromised due to poor paint prep. I am now worried about the job that they did to my roof as well.

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Worry about what's happening right now. Take it back and just show them they did a shitty job. They should have a warranty.

bsspencer42

Here are pictures of both sides of my bumper where it meets the quarter panel. It has begun to chip/peel within 2 weeks of being repainted. Does it look like it was even primed? To me it looks like the bumper was either just sanded and repainted or the priming step was completely skipped. If you look closely along the crease where the bumper meets the quarter panel, it appears to have a dimpled or rough surface... almost as if there were no primer and sanding before the paint was applied. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_0002 (1).jpg

IMG_0003.jpg