GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changed key fob battery, won't recognize key?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
So first off my car was asking me to replace my keyfob battery (it's only been 6 months since I got the car) so I went ahead and did, and now when I get in it won't let me start my car unless I hold my key up to the marking on the side of the steering wheel column as opposed to before when I could just get in with it in my pocket and have no issues. The fob will alow me to lock and unlock my car with the buttons , but won't allow me to grab the handle to lock/unlock anymore... what's going on here?

lcubed

Ready to race!
did you remember to remove the sticker from the positive side of the battery??
oddly, some are packaged this way!

(the key fob can't transmit, but the close proximity chip will still work)

Golpher1

Ready to race!
I recently changed the battery over & the keyfob lost sync completely.

Manual says to flip out the key & use it to pry open the drivers side door handle cover via a little rectangular opening on its underside & then insert the key in the keyhole before holding the unlock button for a few seconds. This is meant to re-sync the keyfob.

Funny thing was I didn't need to go so far as all that - I just inserted the key into the rectangular opening a few times & the thing re-synced. Which was good because I didn't want to force the door handle cover open anyway.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I recently changed the battery over & the keyfob lost sync completely.

Manual says to flip out the key & use it to pry open the drivers side door handle cover via a little rectangular opening on its underside & then insert the key in the keyhole before holding the unlock button for a few seconds. This is meant to re-sync the keyfob.

Funny thing was I didn't need to go so far as all that - I just inserted the key into the rectangular opening a few times & the thing re-synced. Which was good because I didn't want to force the door handle cover open anyway.

Anyone else try this to sync?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
did you remember to remove the sticker from the positive side of the battery??
oddly, some are packaged this way!

(the key fob can't transmit, but the close proximity chip will still work)

I did, like I said the buttons work but proximity functions don't anymore. I'm going to try the re-sync tomorrow..

lcubed

Ready to race!
the proximity chip is what allows you to start the car by holding to the steering column
looks like you're having issues with the KESSY functions (like Keyless Entry...)

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
the proximity chip is what allows you to start the car by holding to the steering column
looks like you're having issues with the KESSY functions (like Keyless Entry...)

ohhhhh I see.... yes that would be it then

hal

Ready to race!
I never had to do any of that but I did have to get very close to the car after changing the battery because it would not open or close from a distance. Once close and it syncs it works fine.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is all this drama normal? Can't just replace the battery and go? How about if you change the battery very near or in the car?

Golpher1

Ready to race!
Is all this drama normal? Can't just replace the battery and go? How about if you change the battery very near or in the car?

I don't think my Keyfob lost sync the first time I replaced its battery, hence why I referred to the manual to get above-mentioned steps to re-sync for this time.

If it happens, just try placing the Keyfob next to the drivers door handle for a minute or two. If that doesn't work, then press & hold the unlock button for 10 seconds.

If still no luck, then do what I did above - flip open key & insert in the hole on underside of drivers door handle.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I don't think my Keyfob lost sync the first time I replaced its battery, hence why I referred to the manual to get above-mentioned steps to re-sync for this time.

If it happens, just try placing the Keyfob next to the drivers door handle for a minute or two. If that doesn't work, then press & hold the unlock button for 10 seconds.

If still no luck, then do what I did above - flip open key & insert in the hole on underside of drivers door handle.

Just tried the manual method. put the key in the hole, turned it, and held the unlock button (all my windows rolled down because of the coding i've done) and it still isn't synced. :confused:

Sparklehoof

Car(s)
VW GTI
I’m having the same problem with my 2016 GTI Autobahn
none of these solutions worked for me either.
I tried following techniques in some YouTube vids for similar years and models, but nothing has worked. Has anyone had any other ideas? Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m having the same problem with my 2016 GTI Autobahn
none of these solutions worked for me either.
I tried following techniques in some YouTube vids for similar years and models, but nothing has worked. Has anyone had any other ideas? Thanks
This thread is over 4 years old.

KiwiS4

just an FYI for anyone else experiencing this I got it working by having the spare key that wasnt doing remote unlock but the red light was working.
Putting this non working key in the drivers door lock, turning it to lock the car
Turn other way to unlock and held it there for 10 seconds
then pull out key and test buttons
All working