GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL After Intake Install

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
There's this little cylinder cap on the WINtake pipe that attaches to the turbo inlet, I'm going to try and take that off and maybe a little air can escape so I can get the 10.5-1 a/f mixture.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Thats your compression ratio, you want a 14.7 afr. That will only make a huge leak since the maf meters the air an it will tweak

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats your compression ratio, you want a 14.7 afr. That will only make a huge leak since the maf meters the air an it will tweak

Yea I mixed up comp with afr and realized how stupid my above idea was. Anyways I found the super long thread regarding the forge wintake and other aftermarket intakes. If you want to check it out, just google "Aftermarket Intakes and Fuel Trim Issues".

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I have a filter on my turbo, intakes are irrelavant ?. But yea sometimes it messes with the maf

B6 Passat

Ready to race!
Contact Forge and see if they will swap out the pipe for the new corrected one. They did for me, but that was a couple years ago.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
If all of this happened after installing your intake, it most likely has something to do with the intake. I just (hopefully) finished battling that same code after a month or two of troubleshooting. It appears the culprit was the MAF gasket, which had a small crack in it. I would double check this, and just make sure all of your clamps and whatnot on the intake are tight and that any coupler(s) are snug and properly positioned.

It could be the PCV, an O2 sensor, a vacuum leak, etc., but it's best to start with the cheap/quick fixes first.

EDIT: I just reread and saw you're having potential problems with the turbo spooling, which makes the intake stuff less likely. The only problem is that you aren't hearing the spooling? It feels the same performance wise, though? Are you noticing any issue with gas mileage?

larcic

Ready to race!
interesting point about the maf gasket! how did you fix that? liquid gasket?

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
interesting point about the maf gasket! how did you fix that? liquid gasket?

Because it was foam, I just used some foam glue. It was just a temporary fix to see if it would help the problem. It seems like it has so I'm just going to try and find a new one now. If I can't find one, I could probably just make one; there wasn't really anything special about it.

larcic

Ready to race!
I might give it a shot thanks!

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
If all of this happened after installing your intake, it most likely has something to do with the intake. I just (hopefully) finished battling that same code after a month or two of troubleshooting. It appears the culprit was the MAF gasket, which had a small crack in it. I would double check this, and just make sure all of your clamps and whatnot on the intake are tight and that any coupler(s) are snug and properly positioned.

It could be the PCV, an O2 sensor, a vacuum leak, etc., but it's best to start with the cheap/quick fixes first.

EDIT: I just reread and saw you're having potential problems with the turbo spooling, which makes the intake stuff less likely. The only problem is that you aren't hearing the spooling? It feels the same performance wise, though? Are you noticing any issue with gas mileage?
Hey man thanks for your input, but I got a simple sort of "bandage" fix going on right now.

The problem was my intake... I guess it was literally just ramming too much air in and the ecu couldn't adjust the amount of fuel needed for the correct combustion. So while the ecu couldn't adjust the fuel to the ratio of air coming in, it limited my turbo and kinda put me in a soft limp mode.

What I did was just rip up a nice, clean shirt, poke some holes through it with a toothpick and wrapped it to the cannister facing the grill so I can add some restriction to airflow.

So far I've driven 70 miles with my modded early production forge wintake and no CELs or trouble codes yet. Best of all I got a nice turbo scream now going through revs and idle seems fine too. [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey man thanks for your input, but I got a simple sort of "bandage" fix going on right now.

The problem was my intake... I guess it was literally just ramming too much air in and the ecu couldn't adjust the amount of fuel needed for the correct combustion. So while the ecu couldn't adjust the fuel to the ratio of air coming in, it limited my turbo and kinda put me in a soft limp mode.

What I did was just rip up a nice, clean shirt, poke some holes through it with a toothpick and wrapped it to the cannister facing the grill so I can add some restriction to airflow.

So far I've driven 70 miles with my modded early production forge wintake and no CELs or trouble codes yet. Best of all I got a nice turbo scream now going through revs and idle seems fine too. [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Sorry if you already stated previously, but what kind of intake is it? If it's one that is engineered for the car, a solution like that shouldn't be necessary; if it isn't then it's a different story. The point of your MAF is basically to help the car create the correct air/fuel ratio, so if it's unable to do that, I have to assume it's an intake not made for the car.

If it is designed for your car, and your solution is truly fixing the problem, it sounds like your MAF isn't functioning properly, (or a problem with the ECU itself, which you may be alluding to).

larcic

Ready to race!
lots of intakes are "designed" for our cars but cause problems:
Stock Intake: Fuel Trims from +0 to +5% - Safe
APR Carbonio: +0 to +8% - Safe
Forge WINtake: +10 to +25% - CEL Possible
Forge TWINtake: +5 to +15% - CEL Unlikely
EVOMs Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
CTS Turbo Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
Neuspeed P-Flo Intake: +0 to +~8% - Safe
VWR Intake: +5 to +20% - CEL Possible
VWR Intake (Post-Warranty Modification): +0 to ~8% - CEL Unlikely
Volant Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
Injen Intake: +5 to +20% - CEL Possible
BSH Intake: +0 to ~10% - CEL Unlikely
got that from another forum. the wintake is very likely to give a cel according to this data

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
lots of intakes are "designed" for our cars but cause problems:
Stock Intake: Fuel Trims from +0 to +5% - Safe
APR Carbonio: +0 to +8% - Safe
Forge WINtake: +10 to +25% - CEL Possible
Forge TWINtake: +5 to +15% - CEL Unlikely
EVOMs Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
CTS Turbo Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
Neuspeed P-Flo Intake: +0 to +~8% - Safe
VWR Intake: +5 to +20% - CEL Possible
VWR Intake (Post-Warranty Modification): +0 to ~8% - CEL Unlikely
Volant Intake: +0 to +~5% - Safe
Injen Intake: +5 to +20% - CEL Possible
BSH Intake: +0 to ~10% - CEL Unlikely
got that from another forum. the wintake is very likely to give a cel according to this data

That's a wide range on some of those... If it's throwing a CEL, does that not imply that it's outside the range the ECU can compensate for? Or is there a certain tolerance in which the CEL is thrown but is merely precautionary?

larcic

Ready to race!
I think you get a cel at 20% and it cant compensate at all past 25% you still want it to be closer to zero regardless. to my understanding those ranges depend on turbulence, maf accuracy/wear (your specific maf), o2 accuracy/wear(your specific o2), and other factors

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if you already stated previously, but what kind of intake is it? If it's one that is engineered for the car, a solution like that shouldn't be necessary; if it isn't then it's a different story. The point of your MAF is basically to help the car create the correct air/fuel ratio, so if it's unable to do that, I have to assume it's an intake not made for the car.

If it is designed for your car, and your solution is truly fixing the problem, it sounds like your MAF isn't functioning properly, (or a problem with the ECU itself, which you may be alluding to).
Yea it's a forge wintake haha. The highest ltft numbers there are.