GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

carPC steering wheel controls

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Ok, just to confirm what I see, the address 5C1 is the MFSW?

Have either of you deciphered the following addresses? From the stuff I have read, the lower the address, the higher the priority....
2C1
2C3
35B
3C3
3.00E+01
3.00E+03
42B
5C1
5C7
60E
62F
65D
65F
6D0
6D0

Don't know if this makes sence, but here goes. Question, anytime I press the buttons on the MFSW, the command shows up under address 5C1 on the Infotainment bus, BUT, the buttons only affect the radio when on the audio page. So is there another command going out telling the radio that the MFD is on the audio page and it needs to pay attention?

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
Byte button
0x00 No buttons pressed
0x06 Volume up
0x07 Volume down
0x2b mute
0x1a phone
0x0a menu
0x28 ok
0x22 up
0x23 down

Vol+/- are the same for me.

Code:
Bit value / HEX / Byte value (decimal) / Integer value 
[COLOR="PaleGreen"]Vol+ = H04 H02 / 06 / 6 / 1536 
Vol- = H04 H02 H01 / 07 / 7 / 1792 [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]menu = H02 / 02 / 2 / 512 [/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]ok = H02 H01 / 03 / 3 / 768[/COLOR]	
[COLOR="Yellow"]Phone = H20 H08 H02 H01 / 2B / 43 / 11008 [/COLOR] (mute/phone)
[COLOR="Red"]Star = H40 H10 / 50 / 80 / 20480	[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]next = H04 / 04 / 4 / 1024 [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]prev = H04 H01 / 05 / 7 / 5 / 1280[/COLOR]

What is the model number of your mfsw?

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
Darkside: could you please post the command you use to display text on the MFA? I would greatly appreciate it!

The messages for the FIS display are 627h (8 Byte) and 62Fh (4Byte) 627 byte 1 is a status register and the remaining 7 byte contain the display lines as multiplex.

From the project I posted above, I got the ASCII table: http://martinsuniverse.de/projekte/audiohplayer/fiszeichen.html

@ wireb: I checked again. There is nothing on my infotainment bus, when I'm not on the audio page. Any ideas why it works for you?

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
No idea I just popped on the infotainment bus @ 100kbs and started dumping frames and there they were. I get them both on and off the audio page. I did not try turning off the radio and seeing if they were there still. (they may only get forwarded when the radio is "on")

GTI_Fahrenheit_859 yes there is another message that says what page things are on. I have not found it yet. Most of this is just guess and check work. Right now I am not doing much due to the cold. Going to finish up the firmware to get just the buttons working to something that can easily be scraped off the serial port. (ie B1 for vol up, B2 vol down , ect) Then finish up a raw card so I can get something easier to mount in the car.

If anyone finds any listing of what the device addresses are please post even if they have nothing to do with the infotainment or buttons (can start eliminating possibilities).

wireb

Just a noob with a welder
maybe if you re enable it in the can controler (even though it's missing) it will start sending the messages over the infotainment bus. But not sure if that would cause any other issues in the car. If we figure out exactly what messages go between the radio and the MFD you should be able to emulate them exactly and not have to worry about crashing the car when you want to display and interact with your PC

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
maybe if you re enable it in the can controler (even though it's missing) it will start sending the messages over the infotainment bus. But not sure if that would cause any other issues in the car. If we figure out exactly what messages go between the radio and the MFD you should be able to emulate them exactly and not have to worry about crashing the car when you want to display and interact with your PC

It would cause the issue of me not getting to work tomorrow due to a drained car battery ;) If the radio isn't found (but enabled in the controller), the CAN controller doesn't go to sleep when you lock the car. If the CAN controller doesn't go to sleep, a lot of other systems (like the door locks, power windows etc) also stay awake. Goodbye battery.

We would need to figure out the "radio on", "radio off" and "radio keepalive/noop" message before we could use the car pc as a radio.

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V

351 = Speed Signal
353 = RPM

261+263 = FIS
660+661 = Interaction Radio/FIS

3E5 = Climatronic / pre-heating

3B2/3B3/3C3/3C2 = Sending data TO the FIS (possible that it's used for all text-display on the FIS)
490 = Sending data TO the DSP
464 = Sending data TO the TV Tuner

Last edited:

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
Isn't it also MFD => Multi Function Display? I think mine actually says "MFD" on it at startup.

MFD = MFA (multi function display is multi funktions anzeige in german). Fis is.... f... information something. anyway, it's all the same. I haven't figured out which part of the MFD/FIS/MFA+ does what, but there is a difference between informational data that goes to the mfd for umm... well, informing the mfd and data that actually gets displayed in the MFD as text.

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI
I moved over to the Comfort Can. Here is what I have discovered in the last 3 hours sitting in my car. :)

ID: 2C1 <- Turn Signals (byte 1)
byte # / bit value / HEX / result
1 / h01 / 01 / Left Turn Signal
1 / h02 / 02 / Right Turn Signal
1 / h04 / 04 / Temp Flash to Pass (Stalk towards you)
1 / h08 / 08 / Long Flash to Pass (Stalk away from you)

ID: 289
Cruise Control On
?D 01 ?C 00
Cruise Control Off
?C 00 ?C 00
Update 3:
ID: 289
Paddle Shifters - Byte 4
h01 = Downshift
h02 = Upshift

The ? marks are constantly changing and I haven't figured those out, and since the Cruise Control is constantly sending updates at 21ms, my commands are quickly overwritten, but when I send these commands, the cruise control light on the cluster flickers.

ID: 291 <- DOOR LOCKS (byte 2,3)
byte # / bit value / HEX / result
2 / h01 h04 h10 h40 / 55 / LOCK Doors
3 / h04 / 04 / ^^^^^^^^
or
2 / h02 h08 h20 h80 / AA / UNLOCK DOORS

ID: 381 <- DRIVER DOOR
Byte 1 = Door Open/Closed
Byte 2,3,4 = Window

ID: 3B5 <- PASSENGER DOOR
Byte 1 = Door Open/Closed
Byte 2,3,4 = Window

Update:
ID: 571 <- byte 1 air conditioning motor speed.
bit value / HEX / result
h08 h80 / 88 / motor off
h01 h02 h04 h80 / 87 / speed 1
h02 h04 h80 / 86 / speed 2
h04 h80 / 84 / speed 3
h02 h80 / 82 / speed 4

Update 2:

ID: 531 <- Emergency Blinkers (byte 2,3,4)
bit value / HEX / result
Byte 2
h01 h02 h08 h10 / 1B / E. Blinkers On
Byte 3
h01 h02 h08 / ?B / E. Blinkers On
Byte 4
h08 / ?8 / E. Blinkers On

Last edited:

Darkside

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf V
I would be interested in OPS/PDC data... I don't have it installed yet, so I can't check. However, I'm going to get the new OPS/PDC that connects to the motor CAN and I'd love to show the OPS data on the car pc.

edit: same for climatronic codes.

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI
FYI: I have been using both CanHacker and CanMonitor Lite for the last week, but last night I purchased CanMonitor Pro from WGSoft.de and I love the program. It does on-the-fly ACSII translation along with a whole bunch of filters and command triggers. It is definitely going to help me. Just wanted to let you guys know. AFAIK it only works with the Canusb.com dongle.

http://www.wgsoft.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=54&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&lang=en