GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car paint failure already?

walangij

D1 2010!
I was detailing my car this afternoon and saw this above the drivers side wheel well:

The rest of my car is fine, I do a complete detail twice a year (spring & winter prep). Anyone else have this or know how this happens? It's bubbled off the panel and feels like I could rip it off exposing the panel. I thought that VAG cars did pretty well b/c of their hard clearcoat.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
can you get a better pic? its hard to see but it looks like rust. if so you might be able to get the fender replaced as part of the 12yr corrosion warranty

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Is your tire rubbing at all?

walangij

D1 2010!
I'm going to take it in this week and see what they can do and report back here. I've always been on the stock 17" so no rub. Here's some more pics of the damage:

martin27

Ready to race!
I had the same thing... its do to the foam insert in your fender. VW should replace it. They didn't mine, but if they take the fender off, they will quickly realize its there damn fault.

Trinib4l05

Banned
Foam?? Thats what you call rust, forming underneath your paint causing the paint to lift up, very common to happen on fenders because of the moisture.

brandonpauley

Passed Driver's Ed
i didn't have any rust, but i did have a huge flake of paint come off right in that same place on the front. VW fixed it all up no problem under warranty

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Foam?? Thats what you call rust, forming underneath your paint causing the paint to lift up, very common to happen on fenders because of the moisture.

Yep, foam. There is a foam piece between the fender and the fender liner. This foam piece collects water, salt, crap, etc. A buddy of mine works at a VW approved repair shop and he's constantly replacing/repair VWs for this issue -- it's a known issue. Another buddy with a VW Jetta is having his fixed soon.

Zach L

VR junkie
That is the result of your tire hitting the fender, probably from the car being lowered. You can see how the inner fender lip has been deformed when it came in contact with the fender. It was the flexing of the metal that compromised the paint; not a defect in materials or workmanship (which would warrant a warranty claim).

Don't expect anything from them but an inflated outrageous price to "fix" something so incredibly negligable.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You can see how the inner fender lip has been deformed when it came in contact with the fender.

That's what it looks like to me as well. Can't imagine another way for the inner lip to be bent like that.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think it'll be covered b/c I'm outta warranty but I'll see what the dealer quotes.

vw's have a 12yr 100k+ rust waranty. as long as it wasnt cause by tire rub due to being lowered but from foam inside the fender as was suggested VW should honor it.

stenger944

Gti Guy
Car(s)
09 Mkv GTI
That is the result of your tire hitting the fender, probably from the car being lowered. You can see how the inner fender lip has been deformed when it came in contact with the fender. It was the flexing of the metal that compromised the paint; not a defect in materials or workmanship (which would warrant a warranty claim).

Don't expect anything from them but an inflated outrageous price to "fix" something so incredibly negligable.

Well if you would have read his post you would have seen that his car is stock and clearly not the result of the tire hitting the fender.... gawd :readthethread: