GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Broke Down Today

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
So unfortunately the GTI broke down on me today... for the past week it's been idling a little rough on cold starts, but only sometimes. I don't think it was misfiring but the boost gauge would fluctuate going up and down for about 30 seconds and then eventually it would smooth out. I was actually planning on making a thread about that, I knew something was up :frown:. When I started it up this morning it was fine, no rough idle and drove it to work with no issues. I even took it out on my lunch break and it was running great. Then two hours later I get out of work, started it up, immediately the car started shaking real bad, boost gauge was around -10 going up and down like crazy, I could hear what I thought was air leaking somewhere, and my brake pedal was extremely stiff and the car would barely stop. Then a solid check engine light came on. I had to have it towed to a shop. Any ideas what the issue is? I'm thinking maybe the vacuum pump failed? The shop won't be able to look at it until tomorrow morning.

Car has 88,500 miles.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
Sounds like something may have just popped loose causing a major vacuum leak. Or vacuum oumo failure, as you mentioned, but I haven't heard of those failing much.

Sorry about the breakdown

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
This ^. Also The fact that brake pedal was stiff sounds like the brake booster or the associated plumbing may have failed. The hose assembly for the brake booster often develop cracks and just fall apart over time. I replaced mine a few months ago when I noticed how brittle they were.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
This ^. Also The fact that brake pedal was stiff sounds like the brake booster or the associated plumbing may have failed. The hose assembly for the brake booster often develop cracks and just fall apart over time. I replaced mine a few months ago when I noticed how brittle they were.

This is exactly what it was. Hose has been replaced and car is running great again!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Good info, everyone overlooks the rubber hoses.