GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car battery

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Not sure where to ask this, I did a quick search and didn't find too good results.

Anyway, it's been about 5 years now and I'll need a battery change. Where are you guys buying yours and how much? Walmart, Costco, etc don't have our batteries.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
I'd like to know too, what options other than OEM do we have? Optima doesnt seem to have an application for our cars.

Optima is a waste imo. Advance auto sells them and if you buy online, its cheap. Johnson controls makes all automotive batteries. It all comes down to price and ccas when biying a bettery but all brands are the same.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I literally just replaced my battery five days ago with a Duralast Gold from Advance Auto. 36 month "No Questions Asked" Full replacement if it dies in that time and a 8-year prorated warranty. Also has more CCA than the stock battery. Pretty good in my opinion but no long-term knowledge yet. :lol:

threeway

Banned
Price on your Duralast gold? Whats the CCA (cold cranking amps) on it? How much more is it than stock? Any problems fitting it in our battery box?

Duralast, as in, from autozone?

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Price on your Duralast gold? Whats the CCA (cold cranking amps) on it? How much more is it than stock? Any problems fitting it in our battery box?

Duralast, as in, from autozone?

Yes, from Autozone...dunno why I said Advance Auto. Price was $124.99 but I had a $20 off coupon I found online so I was out the door for a little over $110 after tax.

You can find all the specs on it here.

It fit in the battery slot to absolute perfection. I was worried since it was about 1" longer than the stock battery but it fit in the tray perfectly with JUST enough room for everything to fit without effort.

threeway

Banned
I'm going to go buy one tomorrow. I've been having some starting issues, along with radio not being on when i turn on the car, and sometimes my windows dont want to roll down until the car has been running for about 30 seconds. These all sound like my battery is dying.

Jayfore

Passed Driver's Ed
I still have the original battery in my 07 Fahrenheit GTI. I cannot believe it has lasted this long (I have about 53k miles on the car, but still, it's 10 years old), but each winter I get slightly worried. This year, with the colder weather, it seems to be struggling more, so I cannot procrastinate any longer. I looked at the original battery and it's a VARTA, which I'd never heard of. I think I will go with the Duralast Gold, from Autozone, after I find a coupon.

EDIT:
Just called my local stealer, to see what I could get one of their batteries for. It's $30 less than the Duralast Gold, has a 3yr replacement warranty, plus 2yrs prorated. Seems like this is my better bet, so I plan to go that route. My current (OEM) battery has been a champ for 10 years, hoping for similar quality with the replacement.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I still have the original battery in my 07 Fahrenheit GTI. I cannot believe it has lasted this long (I have about 53k miles on the car, but still, it's 10 years old), but each winter I get slightly worried. This year, with the colder weather, it seems to be struggling more, so I cannot procrastinate any longer. I looked at the original battery and it's a VARTA, which I'd never heard of. I think I will go with the Duralast Gold, from Autozone, after I find a coupon.

EDIT:
Just called my local stealer, to see what I could get one of their batteries for. It's $30 less than the Duralast Gold, has a 3yr replacement warranty, plus 2yrs prorated. Seems like this is my better bet, so I plan to go that route. My current (OEM) battery has been a champ for 10 years, hoping for similar quality with the replacement.

I did just that with my 9+ year old Varta battery went to dealer and Hoping for same results.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
If I need a battery now, I go to Sam's Club and buy a Duracell. Best bang for the buck IMHO. They carry them in Battery's Plus stores too but they overcharge for them.
(And no, I'm not talking about alkaline flashlight battery's LOL!)