GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bumper hanging off!!!

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Hey guys,

Wondering can you help me with a problem before i take the motor to a bodyshop instead!

I bought my Golf a couple of weeks ago and the back bumper is lop-sided and is either not fitted on right or has been bumped into!

To be honest i'm a bit afraid of touching it in case i make it worse but if i find out its easy enough then i might tackle it!

How is the bumper fitted on? where are the screws?

I've added pictures below and i apologise about the Iphone quality my camera is out of action at the moment.

Thanks, any help would be great

-------VolksTDI
IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Have you look under the car to see if rebar is ok. Have you pulled carpet to check the rear body?

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Have you look under the car to see if rebar is ok. Have you pulled carpet to check the rear body?

Ya i checked the carpet, excuse my ignorance but whats the rebar?

Any idea how to fix it, to me it just looks like it was fitted badly after it was taken off or bumped into and needs new screws!

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
The bumper assem which is the cover and reinforcement connects to the rebar. The rebar is attch to the rear body. If the rear body and rebar are good you likely need to remove the cover (poss replace absorber) and reinstall. If the rebar or rear body is damaged its time to go to a body shop bc requires a pull to repair.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
If you go under the car you see a bar going across and absorber--- take some pics and ill tell you what I think.
Also pull the carpeting up in trunk and see if any damage to panel closest to hatch- this is called the rear body.
Does the hatch still function correct? Both sides of hatch still align nice?

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
The hatch still functions perfect but it doesnt align all that nice where the panel meets the plastic when you open the door,

I'll take some pictures for you tomorrow as it's fairly dark here at the moment if you don't mind.

Thanks BHMKV

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Sounds good. Take some pic under car if poss.

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Ok i managed to take some pictures before it got dark, dont really know what i was taking pictures of underneath the car , i didnt have a lot of room under there :smile: but it seemed like the thin metal piece was bent if that means anything.

As you can see with the other pictures the left lip isn't in line with the right hand side its not sitting that well.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
the tabs on the bumper underneath the taillights look ok (1st post 3rd pic), doesn't look damaged. I think the bumper just popped off the tabs, maybe someone bumped into it? pop it back in and screw it down and it should be fine.

can't really tell but that bent piece looks like the heatshield. I wouldn't worry too much about that. just take out the spare tire and see if there is any damage, doubt the rebar is bend either but double check

blkmaggtsp74

Ready to race!
Same as others has already said. And i would take down that rear bumper and try to remount it the right way.
If you take out the taillight on the far left, you can see if the bolts have come loose. The middle section you should be able to carefully bend back. But it will be easier if you loosen everything and sort of start all over.
It´s really easy if you follow the guide mentioned and just take it slow and careful.

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Ok thanks for your help guys,

I'll have a stab at it when i get a bit of free time from work and i'll take pictures of my progress! :thumbup: