GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build motor or trade up/down?

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
We all want fast cars right? I've read tons of build threads on the 2.0t FSI motor, and I'm a bit disappointed. I know our cars weren't meant to be "fast". I don't know what to do. I need some honest opinions, hopefully from the BT guys. I can do a straight up trade for a b5 s4.

I hope I don't get any biased opinions (that maybe too much to ask...)

Build the GTI or go with the B5 S4 and build that?

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
b5 is a huge money pit. HUGE

My honest opinion is that you should get a 2011 FORD Mustang 5.0,the one that comes with 400hp stock. With a couple of bolt on's it would make around 440whp. Good suspension,nice car,nice sound. PERFECT. I am not joking

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Maintenance/upkeep on a B5 S4 is expensive.

To properly do a BT build you're looking at an easy 10k

( little cheaper if you're capable of doing everything yourself )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
b5 is a huge money pit. HUGE

And you BT GTI isn't? I'm sure it is... although a little less $$$ I assume.

My honest opinion is that you should get a 2011 FORD Mustang 5.0,the one that comes with 400hp stock. With a couple of bolt on's it would make around 440whp. Good suspension,nice car,nice sound. PERFECT. I am not joking

:biggrin: I appreciate your opinion. I work for a American brand dealer (and I've already tried to convince myself into building something with the MOPAR brand) and I just can't see myself with a Ford and/or Chrysler brand product.

Maintenance/upkeep on a B5 S4 is expensive.

To properly do a BT build you're looking at an easy 10k

( little cheaper if you're capable of doing everything yourself )

But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the end result in favor of the B5 S4?

I love my GTI and there are somethings I just can't do without (Sport Bucket seats, D-wheel, etc...)

I guess BT the GTI is the most sensible route

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
B5s are ridiculous money pits. I sold mine without hesitation as soon as I got my GTI. (I actually bought the GTI and the B5 sold a couple weeks later) BT your GTI. Stage 3 S4s are beastly but the maintenance is going to kill you, and remember you have to buy two of everything for the build :frown:.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
Define Fast?

I 2nd the 2011 Mustang. Fast from factory and mod friendly too.
Maybe even second hand C5 vette. Seen good ones go for 13,000-15,000. Heck the 1999ish-2003ish F-bodies from GM would be a good platform

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
I agree, my next new car will be the new gt mustang.

and yes... my bt gti is a money pit, but its not due to needing a lot of attention, its I cant stop effing with it.

turbokit= 5k
rods and install stuff = 600-1000
clutch/dsg reflash = 900-1500
labor = ????

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
Tmsracing37 and mbikle:

Your cars are close to the 10" 1/4mi mark... I consider to be "fast" cars... How is the daily drive ability, have you lost any comforts or ease of driving because of your high HP cars? Can you still downshift while on the freeway for a simple over take (without looking like a total douche by flying by with flames shooting out the exhaust pipes, what about pickup races on the fly? do you need 'prep' time for a race?

This is my daily GTI, and my only car. I don't want to have to sacrifice daily driveabilty for a high HP V8 Eater.

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
motormounts will be your comfort x factor.

off boost power is great even for overtaking

using a standard stock engine tune with a bolt on kit producing 350whp.... these cars are wonderful daily drivers. 30-34mpg highway.

on the fly races are easy...pending you keep decent rubber on the car

mrbikle

Go Kart Champion
also for a daily driver, do not get a VTA catch can. Catless is fine, but VTA will put fumes in the cabin.

also, drag suspension is a rough ride. If you just want a street car, pick your suspension carefully. I do not consider my Koni's overly comfortable, and people say they are the most OEm feel.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
Very driveable. Heck I don't even build a lot of boost when passing someone on highway, 5th gear maybe 6-10 psi. I am usually never In boost on my 25 mile drive to work. I guess the only uncomfortable thing about my car is the suspension setup. I find most of the time, why a fast car feels so out sorts on the road, is directly related to the driver being a toolbag or not behind the wheel

Savir04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07'/CW/6MT/FSI
Me too bro, im getting everything together.....candy white mkv FTW lol, good luck man, a bt mkv is the perfect dd imo...