GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget braking for track...

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
Dudes,

I'm getting ready for NJMP w/ Trackdaze and was wondering... I currently have HP+ all around, but due to budget restraints, I do not want to upgrade both front/rear pads. So, based on the good reco's for the Carbotech XP10's, would that plus the HP+ rears be adequate? Or do I really need to upgrade the rears to the likes of XP8?

I'd rather not mess up the braking balance of the car if I can help it, but it'll be a pain to swap out all 4 corners after the event back to HP+. So if I can get around that, but still have good braking, that'd be ideal.

XP8 fronts and HP+ rears would be an option too, but it seems that XP10's get a lot of love here. Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks, :thumbsup:

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are running street tires, I personally would use XP8s in the front. They're cheaper, easier on rotors, and they will lock up your street rubber without any problems. What I mean is both pad compounds will yield more braking force than your tires will allow. In my experience an XP10 won't slow you any quicker, but it's basically a hair trigger on/off switch once you get them up to temperature. Definitely took me by surprise at first, how little pedal pressure was required to brake into the ABS. If you were running R Comps I would use XP10s. The HP+ in the rear should be just fine, the rears don't do much anyway. I'm actually thinking about switching to HP+ for the rear full time as well, only because changing rear pads on this car is a bitch, IMO.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
only because changing rear pads on this car is a bitch, IMO.

Ain't that the truth...

I was thinking of either Hankook Ventus V12 Evos or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec to go w/ the pads. So unless I go R comps, XP8 up front will give me the braking I'm looking for?

Bogdanbd

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the Nurburgring with HP+ and the brakes saw a lot of abuse...all was ok.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Ain't that the truth...

I was thinking of either Hankook Ventus V12 Evos or Dunlop Direzza Star Spec to go w/ the pads. So unless I go R comps, XP8 up front will give me the braking I'm looking for?

I think either way you go, you'll have the braking you're looking for. Either pad has the power to lock up your wheels, even with R comps. But with XP10s, it just takes less effort and force. I would say try the XP8s first. See how you like em' and you can always move to XP10s for your next set (after about 4-6 days or so, btw). If you've never used dedicated race pads before, you'll be blown away. It feels like your eye balls are gonna come out of their sockets.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
HP+ pads work fine at track, and do not fade. I've run them at tracks like CMP which is hard on brakes with no fade all day. They get very hot though. Other pads can generate more friction but I don't feel the stock brakes can handle much more heat than the HP+ pads can generate with long hard sustained braking over and over.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
If I go w/ the XP8's, you guys think I'll need fresh rotors? or will I be able to just swap out the new pads on the rotors I have been using w/ the HP+? I would think going to harsher pads will be fine, it's when you go from track pads to daily pads that you would feel diminished braking?

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
HP+ pads work fine at track, and do not fade. I've run them at tracks like CMP which is hard on brakes with no fade all day. They get very hot though. Other pads can generate more friction but I don't feel the stock brakes can handle much more heat than the HP+ pads can generate with long hard sustained braking over and over.

I've used HP+ for track days before, and started to feel that if I wanted to push further, it wouldn't hold up. Last year at NJMP Thunderbolt, the one sunny session we had, the brakes started to go slightly limp on me (it rained most of the other times, so fade wasn't an issue). Frankly, because of this, I have been tenative at times in the past. I'd much rather feel more confident going into hard corners than I had been driving thus far.

Frank Rizzo

Trailingthrottleoversteer
If I go w/ the XP8's, you guys think I'll need fresh rotors? or will I be able to just swap out the new pads on the rotors I have been using w/ the HP+? I would think going to harsher pads will be fine, it's when you go from track pads to daily pads that you would feel diminished braking?

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding2

2. Do I have to resurface (turn) the rotors, or get new rotors?

If you have had another manufacturers brake pads on those same rotors; then you will ABSOLUTELY have to replace or resurface (turn) those rotors before installing the Carbotech brake pads.

If the rotors and drums are in relatively good condition, meaning they are smooth, flat, with no visible cracks, deep scoring, distorted, and with no other visible damage; and you have ONLY had Carbotech brake pads on them, then they do not have to be resurfaced or replaced.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
You can drive around the track on HP+ pads, I've done it twice... It's not a track pad, but they will hold up to the heat ok for 15 maybe 20 min...

UPGRADE THE FLUID!

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed

Truth. I now have dedicated front rotors. If you don't swap rotors, your street pads will eventually eat away at the ceramic deposits from the Carbotech's and your car will stop like normal, but it will chew up your street pads and you'll stop like absolute shit for a week or two. Ask me how I know.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
You can drive around the track on HP+ pads, I've done it twice... It's not a track pad, but they will hold up to the heat ok for 15 maybe 20 min...

UPGRADE THE FLUID!

Exactly. After about 15-20 mins into the session, I've noticed them starting to go. So w/ 30 min sessions, you're lagging in the final laps...