GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brakes/rotors?

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
What’s the general consensus on the best brakes/rotors for our GTI’s? I’ve got a 2019 white rabbit edition, 55,000 miles and front brakes need replaced. Just going to do all 4 corners even though back ones are ok. Thanks!

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Second the Zimmerman rotors - good quality and value for money. I like th EBC yellows as a good all round pad.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I just did the brakes on mine, with a similar milage.. got Zimmerman blanks (z-coat) but went iSweep IS1500.... they are ceramic, super low dust but feel just like stock, maybe even slightly more grippy. I think that's the way to go for OEM+

This would be for strictly street use though...

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Zimmerman blanks + Ferodo DS2500 from FCP Euro are a proven good combo for general purpose/autocross/even light(novice) track duty.

The pads aren’t insanely dusty IMO, but they’re not great about it. You can search for what other people run/prefer if that’s an issue though.
I've seen the Ferodo DS2500 mentioned a lot, how would you say they compare to OEM feel wise? I know brake pads are a hot topic lol

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I've seen the Ferodo DS2500 mentioned a lot, how would you say they compare to OEM feel wise? I know brake pads are a hot topic lol

They have decent initial bite for a street pad once worn in. I bought my car with 30k on it and while I THINK my old pads were OEM based on wear, that was over 2 years and 30k ago now.

I’m generally pretty picky about street pad feel and prefer moderate initial bite with a quick-ish ramp up to about 50-70% capability with the last 30-50% being easier to modulate at the limit for reference.

For track pads I just want shit to not overheat or fade and be adaptable for me to modulate. I tend to under-brake pressure-wise and when slowing from 130mph+. I produce faster lap times with more confidence when having a very high bite pad. I HATE being at those speeds and being already halfway through the pedal to make the car stop.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
They have decent initial bite for a street pad once worn in. I bought my car with 30k on it and while I THINK my old pads were OEM based on wear, that was over 2 years and 30k ago now.

I’m generally pretty picky about street pad feel and prefer moderate initial bite with a quick-ish ramp up to about 50-70% capability with the last 30-50% being easier to modulate at the limit for reference.

For track pads I just want shit to not overheat or fade and be adaptable for me to modulate. I tend to under-brake pressure-wise and when slowing from 130mph+. I produce faster lap times with more confidence when having a very high bite pad. I HATE being at those speeds and being already halfway through the pedal to make the car stop.
Yeah I'm looking for purely (aggressive) street driving. I was also looking at the gti club sport front pads, but for that price there's a lot more options.

The only thing I hate about the OEM + Zimmerman blanks is that they get the rust look the middle so damn quick. But otherwise been very happy with Zimmerman blanks so will probably keep using them.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yeah I'm looking for purely (aggressive) street driving. I was also looking at the gti club sport front pads, but for that price there's a lot more options.

The only thing I hate about the OEM + Zimmerman blanks is that they get the rust look the middle so damn quick. But otherwise been very happy with Zimmerman blanks so will probably keep using them.

Yeah you’re not going to find a super aggressive bite pad that is “meant” for street use. EBC blues might be close-ish? Maybe @tigeo can comment. I think he said they have some noticeable bite.

I think the DS2500s are hard to beat for a fade-resistant street pad with OEM quality. They’re rated for much higher temps than some novice level “track” pads… about 1200F vs 1000F for EBC blues.

Also bonus for FCP warranty at least.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

I don't find the 'z-coated' zimmermans bad with rust at all so far to be honest....there again, I'm in a non-road salt environment in FL so YMMV.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
A lot of the rust comes from the brake dust of metallic brake pads... hence its better to use ceramic pads unless you really have to...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I still like EBC Yellows as an aggressive street pad. I'm sure those Blue NDX (higher torque/bite) would work fine too.