GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Leak, Wastegate and/or Turbo Failure?

Chris@RT

Banned
I didn't know you meant during the pressure test was when you noticed crankcase pressure. Though you were referring to just when the car was running.

You will always get some crankcase pressure and oil bubbling since the air ends up in the combustion chamber and gets past the rings. wouldn't say thats definitive that there is a problem with the oil seals.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Another update:

This past weekend, swapped out the EJ DV for the Forge SuperSize DV along with the 42DD manifold block off tap (combined with the Deviant Speed PCV Fix) for the BSH manifold tap and removed my EJ PCV fix. NO CHANGE...still only boosting 18psi until requested comes back under 18psi and then requested and actual are dead on (or actual is slightly over). As before, the WG% is the same...pegged @ 95% until actual meets and/or exceeds requested, and then drops down to normal APR sII+ levels. Still haven't had a chance to crawl under the car and check the OEM DV block-off, but will do soon.

molo

Ready to race!
I have exactly the same problem.

I have switched from Forge's DV to Eurojet DV kit with the supersized Forge's DV, Evoms to BSH, BSH boost tap to Forge's... checked all the pipping and I haven't been able to pass 19psi (4th gear) with the WG at 95% most of the time.

Do you guys have the flapper motor code? I do, and I am starting to think that it's not fully open...

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Nope, got my flapper motor fixed...still had the issue.

Dang rbradley...I was hoping the 42dd and the new dv would work for you...my new wg actuator helps me meet or exceed boost now with less duty cycle, but who knows, could actually be same duty cycle as APR pointed out...

07Noside

Banned
I had the same thing, pegged duty cycle boost was not hitting requested at all with B7 on my software. Now B8 or B9 I can hit without the duty cycle pegged. Even if the new actuator is different from oem spec duty cycle the car is adapting and it shows that I can reach these requested values.

7-5-7 OEM actuator

8-6-7 Forge Actuator
Red=Actual Blue=Requested

Not to mention 18* BTDC =)
Thats holding 13-12.47PSI from 6k to 6600rpms while still advancing!

I just changed my settings last night and everytime I do the adaptation process starts over so I just took these morning so maybe 5 miles of adaptation period, N75 will undoubtly lessen
This is with B9 and a week of adaptation time
Red=Actual Blue=Requested

I hate to keep pushing it but I was having the same problem and the only change I made from then was software advancements and the new wastegate actuator

And from my previous claims as you can see with the OEM actuator I was making 220ish G/S Peak

Now I'm just sustaining that peak number earlier.

Take it as you may my settings are way more agressive then what apr requests so if putting more stress on your turbo is your worry from the way Little red fasts logs look he is just hitting what APR requests only but this modification does give you the ability to go above and beyond that at your own mercy =P

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the replies molo, Ryan and Mike. I'm honestly at a cross-roads at this point...the only thing left for me to try is a WG mod or tweak. However, what if there is something that is physically not allowing the WG to seat closed (ie. carbon build-up, etc.)? Is there anyway to view the WG flap without a borescope (since I don't own anything like that)? If this were the case, adjusting the WG isn't going to help with that...I might be wrong though. I will keep at it for another week or so and if nothing changes, I will look into a WG mod. Thanks again for everyone's help thus far.

07Noside

Banned
I havent seen any waste gate tweak logs im curious because imo changing the rod leangth which is what your doing tweaking the gate should not have any effect on it being blown open by excessive exhaust gas pressure. the spring rate is still essentially the same. as far as carbon build up, the wastegate never closes completely shut iirc 99% duty cycle or not.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Pull off the downpipe...I was able to see the wastegate door pretty easily without a mirror even. But bear in mind I did have a lift too.

I am curious to see my wastegate duty cycle and boost curves on the dyno next monday since my pre-dyno showed a pegged (well, 94.9%, APR limit) duty cycle for nearly 2k RPMS on my third pull.

Murder'd

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having the EXACT same problem. I have replaced almost everything and I am almost at my wits end.

Revo STG 2+ (made no power that is what started my logging)
APR FP (been perfect)
Forge IC pipes (stopped oil forming around pipes no change)
Deleted Noise Pipe
Eurosport DP (does a nice job)
Stock Intake (can't beat it)
'D' DV (real robust but, I feel the car needs some time to adapt to it.
Stock recently upgraded PCV (Plugging front causes no change)

07Noside

Banned
stock, for the new one IDK Id guess youd have to manipulate the n75 with the car off some how and take a look to see its position but even that changes between pulls and what not, the dc% and position of the actuator.

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Good point Mike...

Murder'd...why the two different boost logs on one graph, what do they mean, what is the difference, and which duty cycle goes with which? Both Duty Cycles look equally...poopy though

Murder'd

Passed Driver's Ed
They are just two runs done within 5 minutes of each other overlay'd. No significance, I just thought it was cool. My wastegate has been above 90% for a long time. I wonder how long my turbo has. :cry:

The orange duty cycle goes with the purple and blue. You can tell this because the data ends before the rest (shorter run).

Little_Red_Fast

Back in the saddle!
Car(s)
2011 Jeep JK Rubicon
Oh man, I was reading the graph way wrong. Your ECU is requesting a boat load of boost at redline. Thats why you are pegged on wastegate. Other then that, your boost logs look normal-ish to me other then you may have a leak... which is causing the mid-RPM-range lack of boost. You should peak higher then that, but I personally think your boost at redline looks fine, 11PSI is normal.