GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth?

Rattlesnake

Scandinavian Flick Master
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I have a 09 gti without Bluetooth, just the iPod in the center. Just wondering what the name or part # is of the Bluetooth add on I can do (or even if I can add bluetooth)

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yeah it's expensive. I went the other route and bought a Kenwood head unit with Bluetooth.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You will need an adapter for the controls depending on which unit you buy. Got mine half price when I bought the radio.

Zach L

VR junkie
I put in OEM factory Bluetooth. Yes you can use steering wheel controls, stream music, see song info and skip songs from the radio screen, and use your phone book and dial from the radio screen.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It looks great, but what was the cost of your conversion?

Zach L

VR junkie
I had a plain ole Premium 7 head unit with not even an AUX input in my 2006, so the upgrade got me far more than just Bluetooth. In addition to BT, I got a 6.5" touchscreen, 6 disc changer, HD radio, 32gb SD card reader which I absolutely love, and an AUX input. I installed the factory mic in the factory location next to sunroof controls. The radio data displays in the MFD dash display. Plus nothing matches the sleekness of an OEM unit in the dash IMO ...that is actually a huge deal to me.

OEM Bluetooth can be done for around $200 all in, if you're fine with 9w2 and not being able to dial out from your radio screen. With 9w2, you have to use the phone to start a call, but you can still answer calls and hang up calls using your steering wheel buttons. You can stream stereo Bluetooth audio too.

But I thought the extra cost to have the on screen dialing with 9w7 and the latest 2013+ unit was worth it. All in my cost was under $350. That price includes the "AF" version radio itself, 9w7 Bluetooth module, complete wiring harness and mic, new CAN gateway module, and antenna adapter. Of course if you just go buy the first one you see on eBay or pay what BarryT is asking on the forums, it's going to cost a bit more.

I originally went the cheaper route with the 9w2 setup then upgraded to 9w7 parts. They use the same wiring harness so upgrading is super easy. I patiently watched eBay, craigslist, and the forums until I felt like I got a great deal. That is the trick.

Last edited:

VWTech

Passed Driver's Ed
Look on ebay for headunits. They make them look factory with every bell and whistle you could want

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
CW 09 Gti
www.gromaudio.com

Thats what i did to add full bluetooth to my premium 7. $150 for everything needed, and 20 minute install, steering controls work, and no big screen in my dash adding unessisary negative attention to people walking past. You lose CD changer ability, but why would you drive around with CDs anymore anyways?
[emoji89]