GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

blowing turn signal bulbs

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
about 3 weeks ago my right turn signal went out. either later in the day or the next day the left turn signal went out too. little weird but i went and grabbed new bulbs and removed the tail lights.

i pull out the left side first, and the bulb is shattered and the opening in which the bulbs fit into has melted and warped in shape. no longer big enough to fit the bulb, hence why it cracked it. the weirdness just keep adding and when i pulled the right side, the exact same thing. at this point, im wondering how the hell did both bulbs burn out, melt the housing and break. i had to dremel the opening to a circle to get the bulbs in and ive been fine until yesterday. started my car, have another bulb out warning on my right side again. im probably going to jinx it but the left side hasnt come up yet and i have no idea what keeps happening. why do bulbs keep blowing?

i used these tail lights on my 06' GTI and never had any issues. btw, they are the OEM european r32 tail lights. i have changed nothing in my car before these problems started and it came out of nowhere.

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Hm, OEM Euro tails, don't you have to switch the pins on the connectors & add a wire for the amber signals? Also, I wonder if a wrong amp fuse would allow the melting to happen?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
OP, are the bulbs stock size and wattage?

...Also, I wonder if a wrong amp fuse would allow the melting to happen?
There is no fuse for the tail light circuits, it is digitally protected by the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
OP, are the bulbs stock size and wattage?

There is no fuse for the tail light circuits, it is digitally protected by the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519.

got them right from the dealer.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
got them right from the dealer.
Go figure.

Doesn't the turn signal double as half of the running light too?
Has anyone changed the setting for rear parking light light dimming?

The setting shown is not for stock tails, not sure what the stock tail value should be.
But if is is set too high, it could run hotter (and brighter) than it should,
which may cause the heat damage and premature failure you are seeing. :iono:

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
Go figure.

Doesn't the turn signal double as half of the running light too?
Has anyone changed the setting for rear parking light light dimming?

The setting shown is not for stock tails, not sure what the stock tail value should be.
But if is is set too high, it could run hotter (and brighter) than it should,
which may cause the heat damage and premature failure you are seeing. :iono:

I usually run around during the day with city lights on so yea the tail lights should be on as well but that wouldnt cause any issues. unless like you say, they are being set to run too hot? didnt even know that was possible. the problem is i havent touched anything that would effect that.

i sadly dont have vagcom but i have a friend who does so i could have him scan it. if anyone has vagcom and stock tails and doesnt mind checking it.. friend of mine said it might need to be dimmed. had no idea what he meant at the time

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
...if anyone has vagcom and stock tails and doesnt mind checking it.. friend of mine said it might need to be dimmed. had no idea what he meant at the time
You probably want to get that value from someone with an '09 like yours.
I have noticed the '09 J519 is different than earlier US model years - more bytes and more options.
So to be safe, you should get that value from another US '09 GTi user. :wink:

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
paging 2009 GTI owners lol..

jetTurbo, exactly how did u get to that reading?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
paging 2009 GTI owners lol..

jetTurbo, exactly how did u get to that reading?

Mine are set for the EU market VW oe Valeo LED tails with amber turns - different kettle of fish.

The value was copied from a German market car with those tails as a factory option.
Due to the higher efficiency of the LEDs, the Valeo LEDs
hit their maximum light output at about 25-30%, much different than the incandescent versions.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
Mine are set for the EU market VW oe Valeo LED tails with amber turns - different kettle of fish.

The value was copied from a German market car with those tails as a factory option.
Due to the higher efficiency of the LEDs, the Valeo LEDs
hit their maximum light output at about 25-30%, much different than the incandescent versions.

sorry i meant, where in the vagcom program is it under?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
sorry i meant, where in the vagcom program is it under?
Good point.
The settings are in the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519
(aka 09 Cent. Elect.
in VAG-COM)
Long Coding.

but I am a bit outside my comfort zone here.
i.e.
The setting(s) you are looking for may not be the one show above,
as technically the US 3 wire version does not have an
independent rear running light circuit like the EU 4 wire version does.
It has a brake light and a turn signal light and those are alternately run as running / parking lights.
You really need to find someone more knowledgable on the US tails to be sure.

:iono:

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
btw. blew another right rear turn signal last night. bulb cracked, was blue/white all over it.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
btw. blew another right rear turn signal last night. bulb cracked, was blue/white all over it.
That is typically a sign of envelope failure,
i.e. the vacuum seal was broken and air entered the envelope, causing the filament to burn rapidly.
Is the bulb base rubbing on something in the fixture?

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
That is typically a sign of envelope failure,
i.e. the vacuum seal was broken and air entered the envelope, causing the filament to burn rapidly.
Is the bulb base rubbing on something in the fixture?

ya know what i think you're right. the left side sits nice and flush but the right tail light doesnt seem to be completely flush on the hatch side. when changing it last night i was actually able to push it closer to the hatch. ill double check ways i can tighten that but also look for leaks in the bulb housing itself.

other than that, i have no idea whats going on inside the bulb housing. everything plugs in fine and looks good. bulbs go in and out of the socket with no issue,.