GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best combo for spring/shock?

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
#1. Ive been trolling the suspension forums for about 12 hours, and I searched.

Ok thats taken care of. I love the way my car rides, its firm... but not hard. I want to keep that as much as possible. I would like to get the car down to about a finger width of gap front and rear.

H&R sport springs with Koni adjustible shocks appear to be the best bet.

I will continue running stock sized wheels and tires. (I will be getting VMR VB3at the same time I do the suspension)

Does this seem like It would achieve my goals, or is there a better fit that I am not aware of? TIA

stokedone

Professional Nerd
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
when it comes to suspension setups i really look to TechEd over at VWVortex. You talk about a close to stock ride, with a slight drop.
He says it best in this thread:
2. A:
Finally, if gap and a nonetheless decent fair weather handler on a lowering spring would be my goal for a GTI, then Eibach Pro Kit & Koni Sports would be my choice, ....but I wouldn't pull the trigger on this without including a set of EPS tires. For the real me, the goals are irrespective of gap and a desire for a broader scope of handling competence, so my choice would be a GTI on stock 2010 2-Dr. springs with Koni Sports, and 245-40-17 full depth Kumho XS on my current Enkei RPF1.

I would recommend reading the rest of his response in that thread though.

Also if you want to AutoX check out this thread

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
to be honest, what I took from that is that I am going to see increased roll in hard turns and that I should just use my stock shocks with a new set of springs.
I thought that due to the increase pressure of lower springs, that the stock shocks will not last, hence why you would pair the springs with an aftermarket shock.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
Driver Gear springs and Koni Sports for lower (2 finger gap) without handling penalty. This is a great setup for dd and/or light track duty.

H&R sports will be a bit stiffer than Eibach Pro Kit.

Look deep inside. Do you really want the performance more, or do you want the 'low'?

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
Driver Gear springs and Koni Sports for lower (2 finger gap) without handling penalty. This is a great setup for dd and/or light track duty.

H&R sports will be a bit stiffer than Eibach Pro Kit.

Look deep inside. Do you really want the performance more, or do you want the 'low'?

Trust me, performance first. when I heard about the increased body roll... I was figuring on leaving it stock. This moar low bullshit is annoying, I just want a nice upgrade for handling, without the need to roll fenders and spacers and all this other garbage.
I like the idea of the Konis because I have a little bit of adjustment, but other than that... Im clueless on suspension. All my knowledge is with powertrains.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
DG springs and Koni Sport dampers my good man. They are made by Eibach for VW and are slightly uprated while being slightly lower. On your 07, you will see a nice drop.

Stays within the limits of alignment spec, so you tires will wear evenly as well.

Last edited:

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
HR supersport with bilstien sport shocks and struts

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!

adamgti

Trust me, I'm an engineer
Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4 dr
It's probably more of a drop than you're looking for. I'm on,Neuspeed sports and koni yellows, very happy with it and the gap is about what you described

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
The gap I have is perfect. No rubbing

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
I have H&R Sports and Bilstein struts. Handles amazing with little body roll but the ride is a little harsh. I just got used to it

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
OP, if performance is your goal, then for just a little more money, why don't you consider KW V1 or ST coilovers? Then, you could set the ride height to what you want, as well as get corner balanced for better performance. The spring rate is a bit firmer as well, but the ride is pretty comfortable (admittedly, I'm on KW V2 with rebound set close to full soft). Anything above 25" and you won't rub with stock wheel offsets.

PCDT99

Banned
Car(s)
2006 BMP GTI
HR supersport with bilstien sport shocks and struts

^This, yes its close to a 2" drop on the 06-08.5, about 1.5" drop on 09+

Also i would recommend a RSB, with this setup and RSB it takes care of most body roll. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I just picked up a bsh 27mm rsb..lol