GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery Removal?

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Hey Guys

just pulling out my battery for a charge (for the first time)and the alarm goes off when I disconnect the battery. How do i stop the alarm from going off once the battery is removed?

Any help would be great as I have no car till i get the battery going again!

Cheers

Last edited:

macad

apple pixel pusher
Have you tried unlocking the car?

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
Yeah I tried that straight away. The alarm wont stop unless the battery is connected. I had to reconnect the battery then hit unlock to stop the alarm. I just didn't want to charge it while its connected to the car in case it fires something that I don't know about.

buckets

Ready to race!
Why not try charging the battery like you are trying to jump start the car? +ive terminal and earth point on the motor? Shouldn't fry anything doing it that way.

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
If there is no battery there is no power.
If there is no power, how can the alarm sound?

My thoughts exactly, there must me a secondary power source for the alarm, a small battery somewhere hidden... but I'm not going to mess with that, It's charging while still connected to the car at the moment, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't kill anything by doing it that way.

Last edited:

Booba

Ready to race!
Very odd, i disconnect my battery when messing with the electricals and nothign like this happens.

macad

apple pixel pusher
Mine only does that if the car is locked and you try and disconnect the battery, if it's unlocked the alarm doesn't sound at all. Weird problem you got there.

Booba

Ready to race!
Mine is oem.

GP_GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
How do you determine that the battery is fully charged?

Just because it reads 12.6 or 13 volts, does not mean the battery isn't buggered. Take it to a battery place for a load test, which will reveal its true condition.

Distance travelled means nothing in battery terms, neither does age - they can fail early or last 8 years or more.

Booba

Ready to race!
My OEM gti battery lasted about 92000. it was still cranking but quite slow. amazing how little you noticed the slight changes in cranking speed. new battery and it was so fast to crank. my old battery was failing to charge properly with a c-tek charger.

NahbutsGTI

EUROTHRASH
Car(s)
MkV GTI 6spd
How do you determine that the battery is fully charged?

Just because it reads 12.6 or 13 volts, does not mean the battery isn't buggered. Take it to a battery place for a load test, which will reveal its true condition.

Distance travelled means nothing in battery terms, neither does age - they can fail early or last 8 years or more.

I was quoting the Km's more for the starter motor, but thats a good idea should just go get it tested!

Cheers