GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AudioControl DQL-8 / LC6i ?

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Hey guys. looking for some help / tips from people who know a lot more about car audio than me. quite frankly i have no clue what to get and im a total noob. :yikes:

I'm trying to get my system to sound a lot better with the stock HU and speakers, while adding a subwoofer.

so far i have (uninstalled):
Audio Integrations 10" enclosure.
JL 10w3v3
JL slash 250.1

will either of the AudioControl units help me get a much better sound from the HU / speakers while also being the best way to add the sub to the sound system?

I'm also considering about picking up a JL Slash 300.2 to power the front speakers, if it will make a considerable difference.

any help / suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I'm not really sure what i need to do / get, and any advice will help me out. thank you.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
If you want to amplify the factory speakers, you'll need to ditch the factory headunit.

If you just want to add a subwoofer, you'll need an LOC, for 'Line Out Converter.' It taps into the factory amplified signal and produces a line-level signal (which you'd feed the amp.)

Only caveat here is that I don't know if the factory headunit has an integrated highpass filter, or to what frequency it's set. If the headunit doesn't feed the full range of audio to the door (cutting off the lowest sub frequencies to avoid killing the puny doorspeakers, for example), you'll have nothing to amplify.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to make a real improvement, do the headunit. It's what stands between you and the ability to amplify / equalize the rest of the system.

06 MKV GTI

So many plans for mod's
I would personally change out the highs and mids that are in the car now because the stock speakers suck. If you get a new head unit/deck/dvd player whatever 9 time out of 10 they can push 50 watts to whatever speakers are hooked up and thats more than plenty for any average sounding system. The only time i would amplify my highs and mids is if your trying to go comp and achieve huge sound.

Subs is all personal prefference. What kind of music do you listen to is the biggest question? If you listen to rock with a lot of double beater pedals then your gonna wanna go with a smaller sub like a 10 to give you decent amount of base yet still be small enough to have really good reaction.

If you listen to rap or techno (some anyways, once again depends) then the bigger the better. I always personally liked 12's the best but some like huge speakers so thats on you.

Then your box is going to play almost just as big of a roll as the speakers. If you go sealed box your going to get a tighter cleaner bass (rock) if you go ported your going to get a much louder yet not as clear bass. (rap/techno)

Ive been out of the audio scene for a while so as far as subs and speakers who makes the best and the best deals not too sure any more as that shit changed every year. One thing though JL audio makes the cleanest sounding bass you'll hear in a car but their very pricey. I used to love audiobahn because you got a shit load of bass for cheap. Granted their subs would only last me a year and a half or two but each sub was only a 100 bucks so id just replace em when i blew em not a big deal. JL audio on the other hand their high end sub the W7 last time i checked is running a grand so your not just gonna replace that when it blows like its nothin unless you got crazy money but if that was the case you prolly wouldnt be drivin a dub lol no offense to anyone but its the truth.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me im an open book.

06 MKV GTI

So many plans for mod's
If you want to amplify the factory speakers, you'll need to ditch the factory headunit.

If you just want to add a subwoofer, you'll need an LOC, for 'Line Out Converter.' It taps into the factory amplified signal and produces a line-level signal (which you'd feed the amp.)

Only caveat here is that I don't know if the factory headunit has an integrated highpass filter, or to what frequency it's set. If the headunit doesn't feed the full range of audio to the door (cutting off the lowest sub frequencies to avoid killing the puny doorspeakers, for example), you'll have nothing to amplify.

I'm of the opinion that if you want to make a real improvement, do the headunit. It's what stands between you and the ability to amplify / equalize the rest of the system.

Agreed. A head unit is a must have if you want any more sound have used a high low converter and they SUCK. Never again the only reason why i used it in the first place was because my RX8 you couldnt just change the head unit that easily had to go with a DVD player and got pretty pricey.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
thanks for the info guys. i went with the 10 inch JL with a sealed box because i do listen to a bunch of rock. mainly hardcore. lots of double kicks, and bass drops. i'm going more for SQ than SPL.

as for LOC's. i was under the impression that that's what the LC6i was? and that the DQL-8 also had a converter in it, but was hoping it would give me some play with tuning the sound?

i'm only weary of getting a new HU because i can't really seem to find one that i like (looks wise.)

but i might just bite the bullet, and get one. ultimately the sound is more important than the look.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
anyone with experience using a LC6i or a DQL-8 ???

they're meant for oem interfacing?

plac

GTI Master
I run the LC6i and other people do too. contrary to above statements, you do not need to ditch the head unit to amplify the factory speakers. Unless you can find the Blaupunkt wiring harness, the wiring will be a bitch. I also had Hertz speakers in my front doors for a while, but removed them.

I amplify my stock doors with an ARC Mini 4x70Wrms and a Pioneer shallow with an ARC 1x500Wrms. All off my stock deck using the LC6i. The stock deck is perfect as far as frequency balance. The signal is flat from stock head unit which people confirmed with oscilliscope stuff I dont touch.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
Hey guys. looking for some help / tips from people who know a lot more about car audio than me. quite frankly i have no clue what to get and im a total noob. :yikes:

I'm trying to get my system to sound a lot better with the stock HU and speakers, while adding a subwoofer.

so far i have (uninstalled):
Audio Integrations 10" enclosure.
JL 10w3v3
JL slash 250.1

will either of the AudioControl units help me get a much better sound from the HU / speakers while also being the best way to add the sub to the sound system?

I'm also considering about picking up a JL Slash 300.2 to power the front speakers, if it will make a considerable difference.

any help / suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I'm not really sure what i need to do / get, and any advice will help me out. thank you.

A JL 330.2 would be a waste -and overload- with the front OEM speakers.

My recommendation is, depending on your budget, get a set of the Rainbow IQ 320.25 3-way component speakers for the front, a JL G4500 amp (in addition to the 250/1 for the sub) and a DQL-8 processor to tune the whole system. Keep the rear OEM speakers.

That will exceed your expectations... if you tune this system well.

If you cannot fit those two amps in the hatch, a single JL HD900/5 will fit under either front seat if you have the free space. An Alpine PDX-5 would work also (lower cost) but it is slightly weaker and noisier than the HD900/5.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
A JL 330.2 would be a waste -and overload- with the front OEM speakers.

My recommendation is, depending on your budget, get a set of the Rainbow IQ 320.25 3-way component speakers for the front, a JL G4500 amp (in addition to the 250/1 for the sub) and a DQL-8 processor to tune the whole system. Keep the rear OEM speakers.

That will exceed your expectations... if you tune this system well.

If you cannot fit those two amps in the hatch, a single JL HD900/5 will fit under either front seat if you have the free space. An Alpine PDX-5 would work also (lower cost) but it is slightly weaker and noisier than the HD900/5.

awesome info. thank you very much. i think i will be purchasing the DQL-8 and wait to get and instal the fronts 3-ways and amp. I'd love to do it right now, but can't afford at the moment.

Barnaby

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I agree pick plac, don't waste your money on a HU. You can get exceptional sound with a decent LOC (Audio Control makes great units). I also have an LC6i, but it was wired with my own harness. I was able to achieve very acceptable sound from amplifying the factory speakers and adding a sub.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
thanks barnaby .
definitely sticking with stock head unit.

now just debating if i want to spend the extra bills to get the DQL-8

06 MKV GTI

So many plans for mod's
I agree pick plac, don't waste your money on a HU. You can get exceptional sound with a decent LOC (Audio Control makes great units). I also have an LC6i, but it was wired with my own harness. I was able to achieve very acceptable sound from amplifying the factory speakers and adding a sub.

I disagree the stock speakers cant handle the power coming from the stock radio so by amplifying those speakers your wasting your money. Highs and mids speakers are so cheap i would replace them. Then again it depends on what your looking for. But with Rock and shit like that you'll blow the stock speakers in no time because 90% of the sounds in rock are coming out of your highs and mids not base so those are more important then subs to be honest.

Barnaby

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I disagree the stock speakers cant handle the power coming from the stock radio so by amplifying those speakers your wasting your money. Highs and mids speakers are so cheap i would replace them. Then again it depends on what your looking for. But with Rock and shit like that you'll blow the stock speakers in no time because 90% of the sounds in rock are coming out of your highs and mids not base so those are more important then subs to be honest.
I agree that the stock HU power isn't enough to make them sound all that good, a decent amp will change the sound completely. I an external amp on mine that put ~50wpc to them without any issue at all. I'm not saying their the bestest speakers evar, but they actually sound pretty good with some clean power behind them. I think I high passed them at about 100hz IIRC.

06 MKV GTI

So many plans for mod's
I agree that the stock HU power isn't enough to make them sound all that good, a decent amp will change the sound completely. I an external amp on mine that put ~50wpc to them without any issue at all. I'm not saying their the bestest speakers evar, but they actually sound pretty good with some clean power behind them. I think I high passed them at about 100hz IIRC.

That is true i could understand that i dont know i guess its just personal preference i would much rather have an aftermarket deck than to buy an amp for the stock speakers cause i hate stock decks. Like ive told this guy though its all personal preference and just depends on what he's looking for out of his music. All in all though your just going to get more out of an aftermarket deck.

plac

GTI Master
People get their aftermarket decks stolen left and right in these cars and thats why some people prefer the stock look up front, with killer sound hidden below.