GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AU/Euro H&R Sport 29176-1 Springs

Androo

lolwut... ??
I've been doing a bit of research and most threads suggest H&R Sport Springs lower GTI's (29176-1) by 1.5" (f) 1.4" (r).

Now these specs are correct for the US market as the 2006 models sat higher, and over the years they had different setups, which cars came a bit lower from factory 2007 >

Now the springs we get in AU are 29176-1 for GTI 29176-2 for R32 (AFAIK), completely different springs with different manufacture part numbers. 29176-1 should only lower the car 1" F & R (max of 1.2").

Can anyone in AU confirm the height of these springs. I believe we should have our own suspension guide (Golf-V Aftermarket Suspension Guide).

With all these different threads etc, I'm so confused!! I've searched, and broken this forums search function and got nothing but a headache!

Androo

lolwut... ??
H&R have different springs for standard Golf V models, GTI and R32.

Only reason i started this thread is in hope people with H&R Springs can give useful information and pictures of the setup they have. Information regarding H&R springs is a Grey area.

WJ, any comments?

Byza

Haters unite!!!
If you look at my Pics i am on H&R supersports... perfect drop for springs... i think they would sit slightly lower if i didnt get Koni yellow sport shocks as well....

save searching... side shot... NO RAKE...

Androo

lolwut... ??
Byza, 18" or 19" ... I'm gathering it would sit a bit lower with 17"? nice car mate.

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
H&R gear is good stuff. For ride height ... gauge it from the european ride height. In other words, search the European H&R website: www.h-rsprings.com. If you're concerned regarding height ... I reckon the HPA KW SHS is the best kit going around for sports comfort. It will ride similar to H&R sports, perhaps a bit rougher on smaller ripples ... but with linear front springs and progressive rate rear springs, it will be faster in cornering. You will also be able to set the height to your liking ... close to stock or much lower if you desire. Now that the AUD is fetching above 80 USD, the HPA KW SHS coilover kit should be comparable in price compared to a set of H&R Sport Springs ($700) and Koni Sport ($1100). For an extra @ $500 the HPA KW SHS kit is well worth the spend and more liveable day to day than the V1-V3 series KW coilovers. If you live near Greenacre, send Jester_Fu a PM for a spin in his R32 with HPA KW SHS to be more certain. In addition, big wheels and lower ride height don't mix so well in Golfs re: rubbing. Especially going anything further than ET50-ET52 (I.e. ET40-ET50), esp 235 series tyres.

Cheers.
WJ

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Forgot to mention: Best kit for a daily imo would be the HPA KW SHS coilover kit + small size H&R anti-roll bars (front - soft / rear - hard). The HPA KW SHS retail for $1095 USD less tax for overseas sale/delivery. This kit should be similar to what I'm running atm: with the KW V3 set on close to full soft ... big improvement in handling, control, traction and safety.

Cheers
WJ

Androo

lolwut... ??
Thanks WJ, i was hoping this thread to catch your eye.

Had a look at the HPA's, costs a fair bit but reasonable for what they are. I might look into those down the track for now I'm going to sell the H&R Sports as the drop is a bit too much. Towards end of year i'm going to do a APR stg1 + TAI... THEN i'll see what else needs doing :p might bag up in the wet though :\

Selling them for $500 (Brand new never installed, check for sale thread), bargain if you ask me, some people might like the 30mm drop, but i wouldn't clear the most important driveway.. my house haha... :(

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Androo, thanks for sparking a thread to try and clear some of the murkiness of suspension set ups.

And thanks WJ for some knowledgeable input on to what is best for a daily driver.

I want to go slightly lower and sacrifice as little comfort as possible, will have to look into your suggested set up.

:thumbsup:

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
HI,

I'm looking at a H&R spring + koni/ bilstein combo for my R32 (2007)

the US part number for the spring is 54733 (lowered 1") but the AU part number is what was mentioned above 291176-2.

does anyone know what the difference is between the two?

Androo

lolwut... ??
29176-2 is for R32.

The 5#### is a US model, we have different models here that have different heights/rates etc.

Androo

lolwut... ??
H&R Don't release spring rate details, i don't think any of them do actually.

H&R is a progressive spring, i sold mine so i didn't put them on the car as i needed the car for daily driving and not having to worry about being too low.

I don't think you can go wrong, H&Rs are good!

Blue.:R32

Ready to race!
thanks Androo, I think I will go H&R and Bilstein combo. Is there anyone in brisbane with that combination that I can get a ride in their car?