GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 to Stage 2 and Back to Stage 1

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
When I first bought my 2008.5 CBFA TSI GTI in September of 2008, I decided I wasn't going to flash it, that lasted about 9000 miles, and when APR had their sale last March, I jumped on the opportunity and went Stage 1.

The difference in power was almost night and day. The DSG shifted more smoothly, gas mileage went up and the torque off the line was insane, especially when I had on my 205/55 snow tires. I was happy with the power, but of course, at one point I wanted more, so in July of 2009 I bought a Billy Boat DP and had it installed the day it arrived.

Stage 2 is truly amazing, the power above 3500rpm to nearly redline was great, the DP sounded mean as hell at WOT and I really liked the fact that I removed the two 600 cell ceramic cats that the stock DP has. For anyone who hasn't seen the stock DP, the first cat is sandwiched on the turbo, and the DP is extremely restrictive. The best part of Stage 2 was the fact that my car nearly held full boost until redline. I loved the power, and bought the S3 FMIC and AWE Tuning's TSI hose kit to get even more out of the car come this spring.

I was completely happy with the car and the power, and besides replacing my front O2 sensor, which got fried, I really had no issues with Stage 2 and the DP. A few weeks ago I decided to slow down a little. I had an accident (not car related) in November and with the accident came a bunch of stitches, scars, a fat medical bill and a reminder to just slow down in life. So I decided I was going to part out all of my Stage 2 go fast stuff and go back to Stage 1 and do the low and slow(er) thing.

I got flashed back to Stage 1 on Thursday and yesterday I spent the morning removing my BB DP and reinstalling the stock piece of crap. I Noticed a few things, Stage 1 with a 3" DP shows serious overboost characteristics, the car would literally fly from 0 PSI to over 20 PSI and fall back to requested levels at around 17-18 when I dipped into the throttle. The car felt very twitchy and jittery, the DSG shifted rougher than ever and the car just felt off. Switched the DP's yesterday, and drove about 50 miles at Stage 1 stock DP since then.

It's not that bad, actually. It's slower up top, it's pathetic compared to Stage 2. The stock DP is so restrictive that boost is limited from peak boost at 18ish to 8-9 at redline to account for increasing EGT's, never saw that with Stage 2 and the 3" DP. I do miss Stage 2 a little right now. I would say if you have the money and interest, Stage 2 is definitely a better return on your money and more fun than Stage 1. I would also argue that Stage 2 is safer to run than Stage 1. The less restrictive aftermarket DP lowers EGT's and the Stage 2 file, from what I've seen, at least for the file I ran and hardware, changed nothing regarding boost, the car leaned out a little changing the AFR, and requested fueling changes a little, still way under what the TSI HPFP can handle, but my car ran great, sounded awesome and pulled very hard until about 6k rpm.

This is probably my last summer with the GTI, as i'm looking to get rid of the payment and have my eye on an immaculate MKIII with 40k on a rebuilt 12v VR6. I'm going to do a little more suspension work over the next few months on my MKV and change it up a little. Just thought i'd share my experience with everyone as not many people go Stage 1 to Stage 2 and back down again.

Last edited:

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
you say u fried ur 02 sensor, how? did u get a cel?

catted or not for ur dp?

Threw a P2096 code and a P2196 code, conflicting rich/lean codes. Had a tech at a local meet VAG the codes, beat on the car for a few minutes, the first O2 sensor read 0 degrees C, the rear O2 sensor was reading about 700 degress C. Not sure how I killed the front 02, maybe on install it was fouled up.

Replaced the front O2 and cleared codes, no issues since.

sloMk5

2007 GTI
The best part of Stage 2 was the fact that my car nearly hold full boost until redline.

I graphed a boost log for a guy on here with an APR stage 2 TSI, requested drops hard after 4500 on that file. I think the one I graphed bled down to 9 from 17. It's normal for pretty much all stock turbo files regardless of stage or engine to taper down quickly during the second half of a gear.

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
Interesting observations Jak, I'm still on the fence about going to stg 2 so am always looking for input.
I don't know why you would run a 3" down pipe on just a stg 1 tune. Its' not surprising you had boost issues when stage 1 is meant for stock downpipe.

Did I read that wrong in your post?

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
can you post the logs?

I'll ask my friend if he still has them, he was doing the logging. This is coming from what he told me in what he was seeing from the logs, so it could be inaccurate. I never noticed a 50% drop in boost though. I rarely take my car to redline as at 6k rpm it doesn't pull like 4500rpm though, so with that being said I might not have pulled all the way through 7k rpm and the statement could be wrong. I'll give him a call and see if he has anything though. I'm pretty sure he does have a graph with lowered IATS though comparing the stock location of the DV and the relocation.

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Interesting observations Jak, I'm still on the fence about going to stg 2 so am always looking for input.
I don't know why you would run a 3" down pipe on just a stg 1 tune. Its' not surprising you had boost issues when stage 1 is meant for stock downpipe.

Did I read that wrong in your post?

I was just commenting on how the car exhibited boost characteristics, this was just what I saw on my boost gauge and felt while driving. I got flashed back to Stage 1 on Thursday and removed the 3" DP yesterday, I didn't know when I would be able to get flashed back down and I didn't want to run a Stage 2 file on stock DP so I got flashed down before removing the BB DP.

sloMk5

2007 GTI
Here's the log I graphed for reference...in case your friend lost yours;)

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Great write up.
I'm looking to purchase an S3 intercool before summer.
Did you notice differences after install?

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
Here's the log I graphed for reference...in case your friend lost yours;)

Hm. 3rd or 4th gear? I think I held a little bit better even around 6500rpm, but also requested higher than 17.

Great write up.
I'm looking to purchase an S3 intercool before summer.
Did you notice differences after install?

Never installed it, sold my friend the DP, the FMIC, and the AWE hoses as a package.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
you know whats funny, getting in a not at fault accident and breaking my wrist prompted me to boost my rabbit