GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR pump failure? Car lost almost all power, limp mode, two codes

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
HOW IT HAPPENED:
I filled up the car, left the gas station "quickly" 5000 rpms in 2nd gear, car lost all power. I limped it home a mile.

WHAT I FOUND:
Pulled codes from OBD port.
P2293 - Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 Performance
P0087 - Fuel Rail / System Pressure - Too Low

Freaked out, I pulled the APR HPFP. Cam follower looked ok.

But I noticed the plunger appeared shorter than normal. I compared it to my OEM pump
From plunger tip to mounting base = 26.81mm (APR)

From plunger tip to mounting base = 38.50mm (OEM)

Of course this happens on Labor Day weekend, and my car is dead for the time being. What do you guys think... did the APR pump get screwed, i dont think I did anything to this, but this is weird. The fuel pump has 3800 miles on it.

Last edited:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
x2 on the new pump. least find out what happened and see if they can help u out wth something. this is weird, ive never heard of an apr pump failing

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
Wow your on a role!! From oil leaking from your valve cover to this...

Makes u wonder if they are some how connected...

I have allready freaked out about that... but I highly doubt they are connected.:mad0259:

dave80

Go Kart Champion
you have oil leaking from your valve cover and you left the gas station "quickly" 5000 rpms in 2nd gear.

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
you have oil leaking from your valve cover and you left the gas station "quickly" 5000 rpms in 2nd gear.

No, I have a very slight amount of oil coming from my oil cap. And yes I drove the car quickly... I diddnt stage 2+ my car because my bank account was bored and needed to be drained. :biggrin:

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
I Sent my pump back to APR to get checked. They didn't charge me a dime. Since you have your oem pump throw that back on, put your car into stock mode and overnight your pump to APR. It looks like something is VERY wrong.

Oh and that cam follower is NOWHERE near ok. The second that black DLC coating is scuffed I replace them.

Savir04

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07'/CW/6MT/FSI
Yea that cam follower is not ok, change it asap man

sikkony

Civil Engineer
The plunger on the HPFP will be slightly shorter than OEM.

Not sure about APR's one. I can't see why it would be different from other HPFPs.

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
When.I say the follower is ok, I mean it cannot be part of the diagnosis since it could have survived until 50000 miles when I would have changed it. I allready have the new follower. I will just have to wait until Tuesday to get apr on the phone.

AbL_FTR

FTR Performance TX
Car(s)
MKV Jetta GLI
Still want to run them Rob???
JK man good luck with that im looking to order my pump also!!!

Renagade

I am the Evil Bastard!!
The pump looks damaged. Can you please call 334 502 5181 and speak to tech support?
I called.support, they are sending a box for it. Have you ever seen anything like this? It looks like the plunger siezed or something. I did all of my normal maintenance, and the pump has 3800 miles on it. Maybe I got an odd ball?