GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android VW Head unit

woweriux

Shifts first, asks later
thanks! can not visit youtube.com here.... if you order the first one ,we will give you a biger discount...

Then use any other video hosting site...not a big deal...there is clearly interest in this device, but show us for real what it can do!

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Then use any other video hosting site...not a big deal...there is clearly interest in this device, but show us for real what it can do!

This ^ If we can see what it does, Im sure a lot of people will be interested

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
i am definitely interested but will never buy unless i have clear proof that this works properly....

Guys, this is some kid in Far East posting from his bedroom selling crap. Anyone asking for payment with wire or bank transfer only should raise instant red flag and a giant STOP sign. You have no recourse if you wire this guy money and receive a piece of junk, or nothing at all. I don't even understand why anyone would respond to this at all.

Azzurri

Ready to race!
Anyone asking for payment with wire or bank transfer only should raise instant red flag and a giant STOP sign. You have no recourse if you wire this guy money and receive a piece of junk, or nothing at all. I don't even understand why anyone would respond to this at all.

Agreed. I feel bad for anyone actually considering buying this.

GotGTI?

caus GTI is raycekor. :-|
Guys, this is some kid in Far East posting from his bedroom selling crap. Anyone asking for payment with wire or bank transfer only should raise instant red flag and a giant STOP sign. You have no recourse if you wire this guy money and receive a piece of junk, or nothing at all. I don't even understand why anyone would respond to this at all.

this.

graham_h

let me put my 2c in here.
I've spent some time in China looking at their electronics.
I'll give you some pointers.
The unit will cost less than $40USD to make (their markup is insane IMO)
It will be very poor quality. Switches will break, numbers rub off etc.
The OS won't be upgradeable. It'll be a messed up linux kernel to make it work.
You'll hate yourself and end up throwing it in the trash if you buy one....
As for warranty....mention that to a chinese manufacturer and they'll burst out in hysterical laughter.

Jalal

Review of Szenco VW-8001

Guys,

I took one for the team and my experience was purely frustrating.
I ordered directly from the szenco website which is the manufacturer of these units, I bought the 8" touchscreen version for approximately AU$500.

http://szenco.en.alibaba.com/produc...th_3G_WIFI_PC_multimedia_system_VW_8001_.html

See my review below.

Build Quality

The Touch Screen - moves backwards in the chassis of the media player when it is touched, and I can only imagine this will get worse with time.*Lacks sensitivity and vibrance of modern touchscreens. Very poor quality.

Antenna Wire - I noticed upon initial inspection that the antenna grounding wire was holding on by a single core, the rest of the cores were broken, this was sure to break at any stage during the installation process.*

Wiring Harness - *the plastic outer casing on the wiring harness that connected the vehicle cabling to the media player was snapped on one side.

Software Interface

Bluetooth - Doesn't work - When i tried to connect devices to the bluetooth, it would not be recognised on the VW-8001 unit. My Phone was able to recognise that a device was there and it would initiate a connection, but it would never be recognised by the media unit. I tried this with multiple devices with the same issue.

GPS - Doesn't work - *When I pressed on the GPS icon on the main screen it would drop me into the stock android interface, at which point I decided that I would try to search for the GPS app, when I couldn't find it, I opened up a game on it. When I quit the game I pressed 'menu' and it went back to the main screen. Then, when I pressed the GPS button again, It would go back to the game. I could find no way of quitting the game to get back to the android screen.

Wireless - Doesn't work - I couldn't find any way to setup the wireless from the main screen, I had to find a way to drop back to the standard Android home screen, then go to the normal android settings. When I went into wireless settings, I could see the access points and joined a network, the authentication seemed to work and then wireless dropped out straight away. Then I would try to initiate a connection again, with no success.

iPod Interface - Doesn't work - When we connected an iPhone to the unit, I opened the iPod app, and this gave me a few music buttons like 'skip' and play/pause' etc, but no media was recognised from the iPhone.

Steering*Wheel buttons - Doesnt Work - By following the instruction in the manual I tried to get the media player unit to recognise my button pushes on the steering wheel. When I used the test function, I was able to see that each button had a unique code sent back to the unit which seemed correct, however when I tried to set the function to the code, it was not accepted by the unit. This could have been partly due to the limited instructions that were given in the manual.

TV - Doesnt Work - When they quoted me, the unit included a TV tuner, and an optional Digital TV tuner. I chose not to buy the DTV option, happy with the analogue TV as standard. When I was looking for the TV button the main screen, all I could find was digital TV, which obviously didn't work as I didn't buy the DTV tuner.

The only thing that I did get working properly was the (MICRO) SD card interface. However, the quote mentioned that it was just "SD" when it is actually "Micro SD", so when I ordered the VW-8001 unit, I went and bought an SD card. When I received the VW-8001 unit, I realised that I had bought the wrong type because the feature list was incorrect.

This is false advertising. 90% of what was listed in the feature list didn't work and the 10% that did work was just badly implemented. This unit was never ready for the market. It appears to be a very early development model. I would actually call it potentially dangerous to use while driving (even changing music).

When I spoke to the sales woman about getting a refund due to all of these issues, she insisted on me sending the unit back (at my expense of course) so she can get her "engineers" to look at it. I did, and they said it was working fine, but would send me out another one, however not be able to give me a refund. I told her I didn't want the useless replacement.

I'm sure a lot of you will say I was silly/naive for trying this, but I did, and I'm trying to help you guys to not make the same mistakes. Do NOT buy from szenco.

Jalal

I didn't actually buy it based on this guy advertising. I was in search of an android headunit Nd found the website I linked to in the previous post. Again, that doesn't mean I wasn't being a little naive. Just trying to help. :)

ddash97

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for taking one for the team Jalal.
confirmation is better than speculation and i figure you'll get a bunch of monday morning quarterbacks chiming in. i'm looking for an android hu too! i had a custom alumininum bracket made to mount my htc flyer using the double din holes but i had issues with sunlight. the display was just never bright enough :(