GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

All stock, no bolton tunes?

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I'm sure I'm asking a normal thing here, but I didn't see much beyond everyone telling me I'd regret not going Stage 2. I don't want that, I don't want to do the downpipe and change any of the emissions equipment. My main goal is to throw a bit more boost at it, get rid of the speed limiter, and make sure I'm not hurting drivability of the car. I just want a fun, but not loud and obnoxious car. I can't always get 93 octane, so Stage 1 91 octane tune is my plan. I'll stick with all season tires and high torque tunes aren't a big plus anyway as I'll completely obliterate the tires anyway. Unitronic's boost by gear is interesting, but I only have a Macbook and I'm not digging out an old Windows computer just to flash a tune. I don't have a close APR dealer and I'd prefer to do it from home. I'm leaning towards a Cobb Accessport with an EQT tune as their software does offer OSX options or Integrated Engineering with their phone app solution, but I haven't flash tuned a car in 15 years and the last one was a 2004 GTO with a Diablosport programmer and I did use it for fine tuning, but this is a completely different platform and as far as I'm concerned I'm starting at square one.

The car is a 2018 DSG Autobahn. I hear a DSG tune isn't a must for Stage 1, but I'm sure it won't hurt. I just don't want an overacting shifting car in normal mode. I'd prefer feel wise to not notice anything is different when I'm just commuting and keeping my foot out of it. The stock DSG seems well tuned, but I'm sure a lot changes when the power is increased. I exclusively use manual mode when driving it hard.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Is there a question?

Look into Russel Road Racing for tunes out of the UK. $80 dongle and borrow or buy a cheap Android device. Simos Tools offers way better logging abilities, plus can have map switching, (very good) traction control and launch control, etc.

The only thing I would recommend otherwise is an intercooler. Makes a huge difference especially once tuned.

You can also tune it yourself via Simos Tools if you feel so inclined.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Is there a question?

Look into Russel Road Racing for tunes out of the UK. $80 dongle and borrow or buy a cheap Android device. Simos Tools offers way better logging abilities, plus can have map switching, (very good) traction control and launch control, etc.

The only thing I would recommend otherwise is an intercooler. Makes a huge difference especially once tuned.

You can also tune it yourself via Simos Tools if you feel so inclined.
I've never heard of that. That's why it's a question. I don't have a problem with street tuning on my own, I've done it on previous cars. I have to start from somewhere and a bit of insight should help me from screwing something up.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Long thread, but good if you want the background of ST:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/open-source-tuning-solution.380998/

I have some ST articles on logging on my website. I haven't bothered with tuning info yet because I'm not a tuner and don't want to answer a million questions about stuff I don't know or care to know:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/diy-data

And if you do want to tune yourself, there is a Simos Tools User Group on Facebook you can join to get started with some documents and guides, etc.

FWIW I started tuning myself in Feb of this year, read a bunch for ~6mo prior. You can download Tunerpro for free and get the .bin and .xdf if you request in the FB group along with a VCDS/OBD11 scan so your box codes can be verified.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Head over to the OS thread. Request an invite to the OS Discord.

The dongles are available for purchase through SparkFun. Just have to flash the firmware to them. The thread listed above can point you in that direction. MQB Tuning crew will be happy to help.

If you have prior tuning experience, you will pick it up quick. Just getting familiar with potentially new software and file structures.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I guess I should finally update what I did with it. I ended up going Integrated Engineering Stage 1 and DSG tune. I was more concerned about DSG behavior and it really wasn't an issue in the end. There's a couple of spots where it hangs onto gears a hint longer than I like at cruise, like that it wants to see 62mph before shifting into 6th gear which becomes annoying when I get stuck behind someone going 58mph. A pull and then hold of the right paddle gets it into 6th and then puts in back into auto. Beyond that the DSG tune is a must for not lugging the engine in auto. I have the car set on low torque for now mostly because of the cold. It's not going to get traction anyway. I'll likely try high torque in the spring with new tires.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Glad you found something that worked for ya