GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ac condenser knackered

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good deal. This is obviously one of those sounds too good to be true and I guess it is.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Good deal. This is obviously one of those sounds too good to be true and I guess it is.

Guess it is? Or isn't?

Condensers these days aren't really quality products, even OEM. They are super light weight and really not much to it. Years ago you could run cleaner through them to unclog the vents, but nowadays they are so cheap that isn't really effective and if one goes bad you just gotta replace it. In my case I poked a hole in it so it had to go anyway.

You can go to AutoZone or O'Reilly and get their brand for probably $150 or so, I doubt it's much different than what I ordered from Amazon. OEM might be slightly better quality, but I can't imagine it's a $400 difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

davcohen

Ready to race!
Only if you want to spend $500 instead of $60

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I do actually need one for my R the dealer quoted me about $250 off the top of my head but didnt want to go thru the hassle of installing one only for it to not be as effective as an OEM one considering days like today in Houston that have a Feel like temp of 115 degrees lol but at the same time saving almost $200 aint something to be laughed at

four0four

Car(s)
2018 GolfR
Resurrecting this old thread… mostly as a warning. 3 years ago my condenser was punctured by some road debris. Shop replaced it with perhaps the cheapest condenser they could find. Three years later, the thing has flaked so much metal into my AC system it is completely ruined. Currently fighting all the fallout from that. Probably should have fought for OEM parts or at least a high quality brand.

MihaiGSM

Car(s)
Golf MK7 Variant
Hello,
I discovered some troubles with AC system on my MK7 - low refrigerant level without any visible leak. Refilled it on a workshop and after 1 month, when I repaired the right horn I discovered some oil leaks on the AC lines coming from Condenser. AC system works fine.
Could be this the reason for slow leakage?
IMG_4717.jpeg

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hello,
I discovered some troubles with AC system on my MK7 - low refrigerant level without any visible leak. Refilled it on a workshop and after 1 month, when I repaired the right horn I discovered some oil leaks on the AC lines coming from Condenser. AC system works fine.
Could be this the reason for slow leakage?
View attachment 304224

If you see oil, you can be sure you have a leak. The oil is a lot thicker than the refrigerant. Didn't the shop put a gas sniffer near the where the oil is leaking from?

Kart17

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Looks similar to mine. I noticed it during my intercooler install in the winter. The leak is right at the connection between the line and the condenser. The condenser itself looked on its way out..

Last edited: