GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I finally have an appointment at the dealer's next tuesday. I'll let you guys know what happens.

fadedb8ta

Noob
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I finally have an appointment at the dealer's next tuesday. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Awesome, Please do! I'm really interested to see what they say.

I Was hoping to Stage 1 APR my GTI soon, but don't want to if I'm having this weird quirk happen every now and then. Would like to get it fixed before hand.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
I fail to see how an aging battery is going to short things out? :iono:

The dying battery will basically give power to necessary electronics, and cut power to others deemed not as important. So your Steering wheel CEL may come on followed by ABS, then Traction Control, then more as you keep on driving with less charge. Which may lead to some electronics shorting out.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
No offense, but I don't think you understand what the term "shorting out" means. It means an unintended bridging of an electrical circuit. This usually happens when a conductor comes in contact with live electrical points, providing a circuit where there shouldn't be one.

Short circuits are not caused by a low battery.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Never the less it "affects" the electronics and causes them to fail.

telaio

Ready to race!
I have the same problem. The stealership said it's a faulty ABS control module, the replacement unit costs 1400EUR VAT included :eyebulge:

anthonybehim

Passed Driver's Ed
just so you all know, I have a 2009 mkv gti and this happened to me. Once I turned it off and turned it back on it was fine then happened again the abs and traction control light stayed on along with the CEL. Started it up to bring it to the dealership and the traction control and CEL was on. Took them 6 days to get the ABS control module but my car should be ready tomorrow. Hearing this is a very expensive fix for some of you, I have the certified pre owned warranty for another 6k miles. I haven't had any past experience with the ABS control module but that's what the issue is just so you all know

Edit: ^ yeah man I heard it's about a $1100 USD fix over here. My car just hit 50k miles just so you all know

jtb283

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Same thing happened to me again today. I was driving home and all of a sudden... Christmas lights. I also have an 09. Hoping this doesn't really cost $1100. I used my friends Autel VAG scanner and when I tried to check for ABS codes it failed to access it. Though when I tried this, the same lights started blinking again until it stopped and said it failed. I don't know if that is normal.

anthonybehim

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me know what happens man, Just picked up my car yesterday after 6 days at the dealership. They got the piece monday but I get a call about 2 hours before they close, "My technician says this is harder than he thought so he'll need it another day." Finally picked it up yesterday. Paid only $50 thanks to my warranty. The $1100 is pure speculation on my part, saw the ABS control module costing $600 and for me they had like 6 hours of labor haha. Let me know when you get an update.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
finally got my car looked at for the first time. ABS control module replaced under CPO. warranty repair was covered for $1091 !!!

I had to pay out of pocket but got a deal :(

kern417

Go Kart Champion
dang. not looking forward to this. i had this issue pop up yesterday but last week i got an lsd installed so this kind of scared me. i guess i should be happy it's not that, but still. i think i'll try the brake fluid top off method first lol.